Manchester Armchair Philosophers is an informal discussion group made up of a friendly mix of people from a variety of different backgrounds.
We meet on the 3rd Wednesday evening of each month to talk about interesting topics in philosophy (other subjects too) and you don't need to have a philosophy degree or expert knowledge to take part!
This month's topic is all about sex and gender, male and female roles, transgender issues, equal rights (etc) - so to give you a taster, here are some of the intriguing questions we'll be discussing on the night:
Gender and sex
• What is the difference between “gender” and “sex”?
• Is gender role biologically determined or is it a social construct?
• What does it mean for a person to be transgender?
• Do you agree with the principles of the Gender Recognition Act which allows individuals to self-declare their own gender identity?
Male and female roles
• What does it mean to be ‘male’ or ‘female’?
• Are men and women different or essentially the same?
• Do you think that men and women can ever be truly equal?
Feminism and gender equality
• What is the difference between Feminism and gender equality?
• What are your views on transgender women competing against cis women in sports?
• Womens' Rights vs Trans Rights and Mens' Rights movements - who is winning the gender wars?
If you'd like to come along don't forget to RSVP on Meetup (and also, please remember to cancel your RSVP if you can no longer attend.)
Have a great week everyone and I look forward to seeing you all on Wednesday 20th March for another great evening of stimulating discussion!
Anna (Event Host)
Please note: There is a small attendance charge of £3 per person which helps to pay for room hire, admin costs and printed materials.