Grant Humphries of Trimet will start your 2016 right with an OpenStreetMap 101 session! Come learn the basics of the "Wikipedia of maps" and get started mapping the places you love.
OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a free, editable map of the whole world that is being built by volunteers largely from scratch and released with an open-content license.
Please bring a computer as this will be a beginner friendly and hands-on Maptime. We also recommend you bring a mouse, as it will make editing much more pleasant.
To help speed things along, please make sure your computer has Java version 7 or higher installed. It is required for the editor Grant will be covering.
To check your version of Java:
• Open a web browser other than Chrome or Edge (such as Safari, Internet Explorer 11, or Firefox)
• Go to the Java homepage (java.com (https://www.java.com/))
• Click the 'Do I have Java?' link
• Click the big red 'Verify Java Version' buttonClick to allow the app to run if prompted
If you don't have Java, you can download and install it from the same website.
• 6:00-6:15: Social time
• 6:15-6:30: Intro/grab pizza
• 6:30-7:30: OSM Tutorial
Pizza and drinks will be provided by Esri and the space has been provided by WeWork.
Maaaappy New Year!