This week we have some talks from two C# developers on why they love F# and how they use it in their C# based day jobs!
F# is a beautiful expressive language that allows you to do a lot with a little code. This talk will show off some of language features that give F# it's power. We will cover pattern matching, active patterns, records and discriminated unions showing how they not only make everyday code easier to read but also help ensure correctness.
F# is still seen as a niche language within the .Net ecosystem and has a reputation for tackling narrow problem domains. But it has so much more to offer. This talk will show how the every day .NET developer can use F# 3.0 features, like type providers to put into real use and how these can be integrated with a C# application.
This talk will primarily focus on F#’s type provider system looking at:
- What is a type provider.
- Accessing and querying data sets using type providers
- What types of data sources can be accessed. (eg. OData, WSDL, SQL etc)
- Building your own type provider.
As usual the floor will be open for lightening talks or round table discussions and the like. So if you've never spoken before and would like to get involved this is a great way to start! Just tell us in 5-15 mins something cool you've seen lately. Its that easy!
We Have one lightening talk already planned from Michael Lyons:
PCI for Developers - Michael Lyons
How to work with credit cards securely in your software and databases without the bank or the card schemes shutting your system down.
- What credit card details can and can't be stored
- How to store credit cards and pass PCI compliance
- Quick wins for securing your clients browser window from attacks
- Answering questions anyone has on PCI