Past Meetup

JavaOne Highlights & JCache with Spec Lead Greg Luck

This Meetup is past

65 people went

Location visible to members

Details

NB: Next meetup is the Monday following Cup Day. We trust you'll have enough time to sober up if you do go to the races the week before.

This Month we have:

• JVM & Java News

• Daniel Fullarton on JavaOne 2014

• Greg Luck (Hazelcast & JSR-107 Spec Lead) with JCache

JavaOne roundup (take 2)

Our very own Daniel Fullarton was fortunate enough to attend JavaOne in San Francisco last month and brings us some of the highlights from the conference.

Using the new JCache

99% of all Java Developers cache stuff and the other 1% are lying. JSR-107, the Java Temporary Caching API, is an attempt to standardize the approach to caching on the Java platform, providing annotations, an SPI for cache providers so that devs use the same API to tell their caching tiers what should stay put and what should be evicted, regardless of what caching product they use.

We are massively lucky to have one of the spec leads for JSR-107, Greg Luck, down in Melbourne to give us a rundown on how the JSR came to be, taking us through how to use the new JCache API, integration with Lambdas, and what else you can do with it, plus the future of the caching API.

Greg also happens to be one CEO of Hazelcast, one of the biggest distributed cache providers for the JVM, and throwing some caching cash around (pardon the pun) for beers and pizzas. Mucho's gracias Greg!

Info on getting there:

Peoplebank offices are on the south-west corner of Flinders Lane and Queen St. Doors lock at 6pm but someone from Peoplebank will be downstairs to let people in. If when you get there, no one is present, call 0475 775 978 and we'll send someone down. We also will be having a raffle, so when you get to Level 13, there will be someone to greet you, get a name-tag, and also put you in the raffle draw. For those driving in, there is flat rate (~$10) after hours parking on Market St, between Flinders Lane and Flinders St.