addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Children pushing religion in public schools

Children pushing religion in public schools

Leah
user 32191552
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
My son came home from school with pictures that he took that day. All over the hallway walls were handmade posters for a Christian book club. The club information was in tiny letters and most of the poster was bible quotes, pictures of crosses and jesus fish and quotes like “God loves you”, God Reigns” etc. When I complained I was told that laws are different for children and they can do what they want (unless the promote violence etc.) and the public school can’t do anything. These are the same children that told my son he was going to hell because he believed gays should be able to marry and that gays should be killed because they were an abomination to god. Anyway… Is there anything I can do to get these posters removed? I understand that they should be allowed to have an after school student led club, but are they allowed to market their club with these horrible posters. Help!
A former member
Post #: 1
Would your son be willing to start an Atheist or secular club at school? If they allow Christian clubs they would have to allow Atheist or secular, if they do not then I think you may have a case.
Leah
user 32191552
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
I have no problem with the group, my problem is how they are marketing it. The signs are offensive and all over the school. I am trying to get the signs removed. I was told that since kids made the signs it is ok to write whatever they want even though the spew religious quotes and images. Is this allowed in a public school?
Gina
user 50106072
Burnsville, MN
Post #: 1
I'm assuming this is the - Good News Club- . I may be wrong but I thought that posters, etc promoting religion in public schools wasn't allowed. Can you name the school?
Rhonda
user 12952364
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 18
You can contact the Freedom From Religion Foundation and the MN Chapter of Americans United for Separation of Church and State and ask their advice. If those posters are being made after school by an after school club, then I don't believe they have any business being plastered on the walls of the school, even if they were made by children. The walls are for displaying what children do in school during school hours.

What grade is your son in? It does sound like GNC, and the principal may have been threatened by them because they have a strong legal team and have never lost a case.