addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › book or movie discussion suggestion

book or movie discussion suggestion

A former member
Post #: 41
I would like to organize or have someone organize a movie discussion event. How do I do that? The movie is "Life of Pi." Actually, it is based on a book by Yann Martel, so it could be a book discussion.

I had no idea what this movie was about, let alone its in depth reflection into the topic of religion. Like most Ang Lee's movies, I am perplexed. I once read a book called "The Shack" and I was initially moved but became disgusted when I felt it was a well-intended but still a Christianity-propaganda. But Life of Pi seems to be fundamentally different than that (I'm cautiously optimistic).

Would anyone be interested in an event discussing this book or movie? Or is there anyone who finds this movie as an attempt to embellish the element of religion that strikes chord with people?
Amir
user 86631492
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1

I am looking for support for a different project here in Pakistan. That is, there is no literature available in urdu that could challenge religious-propaganda. Urdu is spoken a large number of people in Asia. I want to translate good book such as why I am not Christian, and many other books written by free thinkers and well known atheists and made available on internet and in Pakistan and India.

Is there any possibility for support? amirkhanwali@yahoo.com
Jack C.
user 3043821
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 65
Sorry for the late reply, but I didn't see this request until another Meetup member pointed it out to me. The request to translate a book about atheism requires permission from the copyright holder, and there is one book Minnesota Atheists might be able to help you with directly. It's our own Atheist Voices of Minnesota, available at Amazon.com, Barnesandnoble.com, and MinnesotaAtheists.org. If you like the book I could put you in touch with the editor about granting you translation rights for Urdu. Just reply to this thread if you're interested.