addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › New Study On Religion

New Study On Religion

Brad B.
badjuggler
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 11
Survey: Americans switching faiths, dropping out

Although I believe they are way low with their claim of only 4% of Americans being atheist or agnostic, it seems the general trends are encouraging, especially regarding the under-30 crowd.
A former member
Post #: 11
Here's the website of the study in its entirety:
http://religions.pewf...­

Atheist: 1.6%
Agnostic: 2.4%
"Nothing In Particular": 12.1% (I wonder how much of that "Nothing In Particular" are people afraid to admit it)
"Unitarians and Other Liberal Faiths": 0.7%
"Don't Know/Refused": 0.8% (Gee, I'm not sure. All I have to go on is this non-descript pamphlet. I kept it only because I wanted to finish the word search. smile)

Humanists don't even get recognized, but the Metaphysical group listed under "Other Christian" which doesn't even move the needle at <0.3% are listed? Along with "Spiritual but not religious," "Eclictic/a bit of everything, own beliefs," and "other liberal faith groups" get listed?

I don't know if 1.6% is encouraging, but at least we got mentioned.
A former member
Post #: 25
That study is flawed from what I have heard atheists are as much as 10 to 15% in this country besides I have never been called or counted neither has any one else that I have known that are atheists or agnostic. And since it is a poll on religions why would you take it if you weren't affiliated with a religion in the first place?
Brad B.
badjuggler
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 12
I have seen a couple of articles adding Atheist+Agnostic+Nothing In Particular to come up with a 16.1% "non-religious". So I guess that is a good thing since I have also seen the 10-15% figure bandied about. Of course there has to be some margin of people who are afraid to admit their disbelief which skews every poll to some extent.
slave to r.
slave_to_reason
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 35
A agnostic is usually a atheist in the closet.
Eric
user 4434475
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 18
In his book, I Am America (and so can you), Stephen Colbert called agnostics "atheists without balls"
biggrin
A former member
Post #: 22
Next time you want to work with an agnostic on an issue of mutual concern, call him or her an "atheist without balls" and see how well that promotes cooperation. Religious and irreligious commitments are matters of great weight for many people, and agnosticism is a legitimate response to the deep questions of meaning and purpose. Disrespectful superiority isn't a helpful attitude. Of course, you could also call female atheists "atheists without balls". Are you setting out some kind of macho standard for atheism? So much for an appeal to science and reason.
Samantha
user 5455271
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
It's a joke. You have to understand Stephen Colbert's satirical style of humor.
slave to r.
slave_to_reason
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 36
Disrespectful superiority isn't a helpful attitude.
Atheists ARE superior!
Don't "play nice" or you will end up where you are going.
http://slave-to-reaso...­
A former member
Post #: 6
Every agnostic IS an atheist because he is personally without a god; every atheist is an agnostic because she can't know with absolute certainty that no god of any kind exists.

Any difference that exists likely has to do with the assignment of probabilities or social courage. A person who only thinks that the odds are against the existence of a god might prefer the term "agnostic," while the person who feels that the likelihood of a god's existence is vanishingly small--close to nil--might prefer the term atheist.

And some people might prefer the term "agnostic" merely to avoid the more loaded designation of "atheist," to avoid stigma or maintain cordial dialog with the faithful (who might find the term "atheist" sounding as arrogant as we find professions of religious certainty). We can all play in the same sandbox.

I'll take a back seat to no one in terms of my commitment to the atheist cause and movement, but I come from a Christian background, and I have no desire to see those of us on this side snipe at each other the way Christians do. As much as we can, let's focus on common goals and keep relatively minor (often semantical) differences in their proper perspective. Let the religious bury their wounded, as the saying goes. Doesn't the rejection of dogma and the embrace of inquiry and reason imply a certain tolerance for diversity of viewpoint? If it does not, we're little better than religious adherents.

And I do not for one second buy that. We surely are--or can be--strikingly better.