addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › 'Expelled' opens at #8

'Expelled' opens at #8

A former member
Post #: 13
'Expelled' opened Friday with an estimated $1.2M in box office receipts.
This thing will like net $3-$5M this weekend putting it in the bottom part of the Top 10.
That's probably the best these people are going to get.

http://www.boxofficem...­
A former member
Post #: 4
I hope it fails miserably and gets removed early on. It's playing in the Marcus theater near here. I'm counting the days on how long before it's removed. I noticed the AMC in Roseville didn't include it in their showings.
Brad B.
badjuggler
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 14
On www.RottenTomatoes.com it has a 9% rating (they deem 2 of 23 reviewers wrote positively of it) which is HORRIBLE. It takes a minimum 60% rating for a "Fresh" classification. If you want to read a lot of people butchering the movie, check it out.

I know there has been mixed feelings about going to see it. Everybody is curious (or loves a good comedy) but does not want to support the movie monetarily. My suggestion is pay for a different movie showing at roughly the same time but actually go watch Expelled. You see the movie and it doesn't get a dime out of you. Win-Win situation.

Rotten Tomatoes
A former member
Post #: 14
I've been tracking the Rotten Tomatoes reviews all week and I get a kick out of the Christianity Today review saying that ID should be on the table for discussion. It is. It has. It always will be. It just has been thoroughly trounced as a bag of lies.

The other "fresh" review is an outsider who says "can't you guys just get along?" If only he knew what its like to be on either side of the fence.

And then there is the Variety review where I still believe the reviewer openly wept at the stolen animation clip in the film. He gave it a "rotten" review, but it looks like Ben Stein just signed another one up.

Still, 9% is pretty horrible. Gigli beats it with a 6%, however. smile
A former member
Post #: 15
UPDATED 1:23PM CT

"Expelled" estimated box office receipts (Friday-Sunday): $3,153,000.
The film progressively did worse over the weekend.

Friday $1,205,000
Saturday $990,000
Sunday $958,000

These are estimated numbers with official numbers due out Noon tomorrow, but I do not believe that they will get more than the $3.15M they have right now for the weekend. Hopefully this will take it out of 400-600 theaters for next weekend.
A former member
Post #: 5
"Friday $1,205,000
Saturday $990,000
Sunday $958,000"

Glad it's going down. What really disturbs me is that places like IMDB and movietickets.com as well as rottentomatoes.com are having a cluster of people raving how great it is. Even more horrifying is how the sheer number of them do not even have the slightest clue on science 101!

Btw, rottentomatoes has gone up to 12% now. I was hoping it would be around 3 percent now :(