addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Save this Meetup!

This Meetup no longer has an Organizer.
Without an Organizer, it will disappear from our website in 10 day(s).

You can join this Meetup and become the Organizer.

NW Home Gardening Message Board › Holes in lettuce

Holes in lettuce

A former member
Post #: 13
Hi, I am an ameteur gardener and would like to know what is making holes in my lettuce leaves and how I can naturally prevent this. Any ideas? Thanks, Tiffany
Sara
user 7977467
Portland, OR
Post #: 91
Hi Tiffany! I didn't know you were a member of this group, too! I'm also an amateur, but I took a class last weekend at Dennis' 7 Dees and he talked a lot about slugs, so I'm betting that's what is eating holes in your lettuce. He recommended Sluggo. I don't know if that's natural, but that's what he said was efficient.
Joanne
user 10399174
Portland, OR
Post #: 13
If I need to, I sprinkle Lilly Miller slug and snail bait around the plant but not on the leaves. Keep the garden cleaned up so there's no rotting things to attract the slugs. Pick the slugs off. I also donate one or two of each plant they want so slugs go elsewhere. Slug bait is not as good when it is wet. I've tried lots of methods (haven't tried copper bands) and now I just stick with cleaning up and donating one or two.
Dropping slugs and other bugs into a jar of soapy water is a sure way to kill them.
A former member
Post #: 16
Thanks for the responses :) I think it is slugs, I saw a slimy trail on the soil so I will look into natural ways to detour slugs.
A former member
Post #: 7
Whatever you do don't salt the slugs. We tried that and sterilized our soil when I was a kid. Several things I have heard work but don't know yet because I haven't had a chance to try them personally.

Sprinkle crushed egg shells around the plants, or sand or something else that they would get all over them if they crossed it.

Put your salad veggies in a raised bed with sand paper all around the edges, they don't like the texture.

Put a small container sunk into the ground in a place away from your lettuce with beer in it. They are attracted to it then get drunk and fall in. You have to clean it out and replace the beer often.

There are probably flowers that they don't like the smell of too but I don't know them.

Good luck with your lettuce. Last year I had my first success with it but it was full of slugs too. I forgot to worry about it until I started to harvest. It made for lots of work preparing salad and we laughed about the volunteer Escargot. At that point picking through it or soaking it in Baking Soda are the only solutions that I know. It is worth it to have homegrown salad.

Pam
Connie C.
user 11980800
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
Hi Gardeners!

I moved back to OR from Alaska 11 years ago, and had to relearn how to garden. The first garden group meeting I went to featured a Master Gardener who was full of common-sense type info and a GREAT sense of humor--she was wearing a T-shirt that said "Why waste good beer on a slug!"

She, too, recommended sand as a deterrent. I live with four-legged furry critters and have had good luck with "Worry Free." But, let's face it: This is Oregon, and we've got slugs. I get more satisfaction from cutting them in half. Hopefully, that's NOT how they multiply!

Connie Chandler

A former member
Post #: 17
Great Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 8
ROFL @Connie
Hmmm works for worms but I don't think slugs multiply that way.

BTW welcome back to Oregon. Gardening is wet here but it is worth it. We can grow tomatoes!!
I saw some Alaskan Cabbage once though and it was AMAZING!!