addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NW Wilderness Message Board › Snowshoeing

Snowshoeing

Sheree
user 46197482
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Yes. Just bought some snowshoes!
A former member
Post #: 177
Did someone say snowshoe? I've been snowshoeing for more than 25 years now, 12 seasons here on Mt Hood. Rick, Susan and Linda know I absolutely LIVE for snowshoe season ... and I'm not shy about sharing my sources of information. I snowshoe 3-4 days a week (midweek) so I probably won't see most of you this season, but perhaps we'll cross paths.

Over the years I've checked out lots of skiing, snowshoeing and backcountry books from the local library looking for snowshoe routes around Mt. Hood. My absolute favorite book is out of print, but it is often available on Amazon for less than $5 including shipping! 

** Cross-Country Ski Routes Oregon Second Editon, Klindt Vielbig (ISBN: 0-89886-404-6) 

Other books on my bookshelf for reference are: 

** Backcountry Ski! Oregon - Classic Descents for Skiers & Snowboarders, Christopher Van Tilburg (ISBN: 1-57061-232-3) 
** Snowshoe Routes Oregon, Shea Andersen (ISBN: 0-89886-883-3)
** Best Groomed Cross-Country Ski Trails in Oregon, Mike Bogar (ISBN: 0-89886-801-7)

Some of the best trail descriptions have come from the skiing books. Almost all trails are now shared, and most skiers are friendly to snowshoers if we respect the groomed trails.

These are my favorite places to go for groomed, gentle trails to start my season, test out gear, before the backcountry and off-trail trips. 

Trillium Lake SnoPark - Everyone has probably driven around the lake on the forest roads that become the snowshoe/ski loop. A volunteer group grooms the trail biweekly with snowshoe and cross-country ski tracks. It is a gentle rolling loop with beautiful views. There is a donation box for grooming at the trailhead, be kind and bring a few dollars for the box. I personally write a check once a year and put it in there.

Frog Lake SnoPark East Parking Lot - At this end of the lot there are 6-7 miles of snowmobile and sled dog routes that are relatively flat and used infrequently MIDWEEK. Avoid this set of trails on the weekend.
http://www.mthoodsnow...­

Frog Lake SnoPark West Parking Lot - On this end of the lot are the Twin Lakes/PCT trail. Doing an out and back trip to Lower Twin Lake is a good beginner trip. You can step it up for intermediate trips if you use Sullivan's Twin Lakes / PCT loop.

Glacier View SnoPark - There are three loops that go from this lot, as well as the crosstown trail that goes into Government Camp. The topo and printable black and white maps are available at this link: http://www.mounthoodi...­

Skyline SnoPark has more than 20 miles of snowmobile trails leading to Clear Lake and the Clear Lake Butte Fire Lookout as well as a variety of out intertwined trails that are relatively flat and used infrequently MIDWEEK. Avoid this set of trails on the weekend. 
http://www.mthoodsnow...­

Hope this is helpful to everyone. See you out there ... 

Chris
Todd O
user 2364738
Portland, OR
Post #: 23
Like Chris, I am mainly out during the week, especially Mondays and Tuesdays!

I have some Atlas 1030 snowshoes that can be borrowed or bought for a reasonable price. Just drop me a note if they seem right for you.

I prefer intermediate to advanced routes and a moderate to quick, but not crazy fast pace. Please be in touch if you want to join me (and others) out on the snow --especially on Mondays or Tuesdays. (Did I mention that?)

Oh, and in addition to the Oregon routes Chris is pointing to, I like poking around in the Mount St. Helens area, too.
Rick L. J.
user 10833570
Newberg, OR
Post #: 118
Yep! Chris is the most active snowshoer I know. Rune I have not met.

I hope she extends a few invites to some of us this winter as Rune has. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Fav's of mine are Twin Lakes loop, White River up the big hill to Timberline Lodge and Newton Creek area.
A former member
Post #: 2
Yes I'm interested!
A former member
Post #: 181
The snow was falling all fluffy and light on the Bennett Ridge Trail today (12/15), trail has good base and lots of fluffy fresh snow that has been broken by snowmobilers (don't knock 'em when they groom the trail). If you are headed to the mountain in the next few days, the following SnoParks were looking good: Bennett, Barlow and White River. Trillium has a small base and will probably have decent fresh snow, but the better snow is up on Bennett where the elevation is over 4500ft.

Enjoy! Safe Travels!
Henry
user 13314173
Portland, OR
Post #: 45
It looks like a good night to go into Trillium with the moon 94 percent full and the clouds holding off till around mid-night.
Kathy
user 23537721
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 5
Thanks for the info Chris. I am running out of places to go, but haven't hit a few on your list. Time to add them to the calendar.
Stephanie
user 12261720
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1
Definitely. Have snowshoed before w/rentals. Now have my own snoeshoes.
Amanda
user 6318291
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
I have a new work schedule and would love to see more snowshoe trips offered on Sundays and possibly Mondays...