What we're about
We may be the first NYC book club specifically created for folks in their 20's and 30's**; well, we've been around for quite awhile anyway, 8 years and counting. We've had a ton of great readers, read a smorgasbord of books, and enjoyed lively conversations over delectable food and drink. Our discussions are organic and intimate, meandering through the books with no set structure or agenda. We look forward to having you join us and becoming a part of our growing circle of bibliophile friends!
**Don't forget to check out our sister group, The 20/30-Something LongReads Book Club, which meets at the same place on the same day right before this one, just every-other month!
A few quick items of note:
1. If you RSVP for a meeting and then can't make it, we just ask that you un-RSVP.
2. We provide a 60-day free trial for you to see if our group's a good fit. We have $5 annual dues (which works out to 40 cents a meeting) to help cover Meetup's costs for running a group. You can pay online or in person.
3. We have done other things as well, such as: going to the movies to see the film adaptation of a selection; attending BookCon when it's in the City; meeting authors at their signings; and, hitting the parks.
4. All of our selections are determined by...YOU! Periodically, we ask our members for future selection suggestions, compile them into a poll, and then everyone votes. The books that garner the most votes make up our next batch of titles.
5. Here's a sampling of our past reads:
"A Visit from the Goon Squad," by Jennifer Egan
"The Handmaid's Tale," by Margaret Atwood
"Room: A Novel," by Emma Donoghue
"A Good Man Is Hard to Find," by Flannery O'Connor
"Super Sad True Love Story," by Gary Shteyngart
"The Sun Also Rises," by Ernest Hemingway
"Middlesex," by Jeffrey Eugenides
"The Devil in the White City," by Erik Larson
"Freedom," by Jonathan Franzen
"Ready Player One," by Ernest Cline
"Wuthering Heights," by Emily Brontë
"Never Let Me Go," by Kazuo Ishiguro
"Slaughterhouse-Five," by Kurt Vonnegut
"Behold the Dreamer," by Imbolo Mbue
"Rebecca," by Daphne du Maurier
"The Night Circus," by Erin Morgenstern
"The Goldfinch," by Donna Tartt
"American Pastoral," by Philip Roth
"The Big Sleep," by Raymond Chandler
"Sentimental Education," by Gustave Flaubert
"Let the Great World Spin," by Colum McCann
"The Leftovers," by Tom Perrotta
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," by Douglas Adams
"Speak, Memory," by Vladimir Nabokov
"Gone Girl," by Gillian Flynn
"The Giver," by Lois Lowery
"The Little Dog Laughed," by Douglas Carter Beane
"In Cold Blood," by Truman Capote
"A Confederacy of Dunces," by John Kennedy Toole
"Snow Crash," by Neal Stephenson
"The Dinner," by Herman Koch
"Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore," by Robin Sloan
Looking forward to meeting you soon!
Allison, Jason, and Jen