addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NYC Pints 'n' Purls Message Board Charity Projects & Ideas › Knitters for the 116th

Knitters for the 116th

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 4
Hey Everyone!

So, I saw this group on Facebook and thought it was a very good cause that some of you might want to get involved in, the group is called "Knitters for the 116th" and this is what they say they're about:

Attention all knitters!! The Commanders of the 116th (Soldiers from Idaho, Oregon and Montana) have requested that every soldier have a cap to take to Iraq when they leave in September. That is a total of 2,700 caps.. These caps help keep the cold of the helmet off the soldier’s head in cold climate and can be soaked down with water and help cool the heads in hot climate. They are made of 100% wool yarn and the pattern is very simple to make. They have to be wool due to burn danger in case of fire or explosions. They must be earth tone in color, (beige, tan, black or brown) for the security of our soldiers. There are several drop locations in the Treasure Valley. In Boise you can drop off the finished caps at Knit wits and Michael's Craft store. In Meridian. The Yarn Shoppe. In Nampa-Michael's Craft Store. In Ontario, Oregon JoAnn's Craft Store and The White House Yarn Shop.

Here's their link (I hope it works):

http://www.facebook.c...­

I think the best way to get involved would be to knit the cap and then ship it to one of the yarn stores they indicate, here's the website for one of them:

http://www.whitehouse...­

What do you think? Think you'll get involved?

Thanks!
Aubrey

Becki
dayla_starr
Frederick, MD
Post #: 10
Wow Aubrey, thanks for posting this! What a great cause. I'm not advanced enough at knitting to make a hat yet myself but I will do an interest check at the PnP Meetup tonight and see if folks want to contribute, and if people are interested I'll check with the LYS you mentioned to see if I can ship the hats we make there (or if not, one of the other LYS's). :)
A former member
Post #: 5
That sounds like a great way to go about it, thanks Becki!