* TIME CHANGED: November 2nd, 2-5pm
Learn and practice Python basics! We're going to be co-hosting with the NY Python LPTHW study group.
What you'll need to bring:
- Wireless-enabled laptop
- Python, Virtual Environment, and Git already set up (see part 1 for notes (http://www.meetup.com/NYC-PyLadies/events/141419442/))
- Power strip if you have one
Women and their friends who have no or limited programming experience. This event is welcoming and respectful of trans women. Men who want to learn Python are welcome (please RSVP as well).
We'll go over some fundamentals Python, taking breaks to practice concepts through bite-sized lessons. We'll break out into groups to continue writing Python using specific practice exercises.
Our goal is to provide an environment in which women can develop their programming skills with confidence. You'll leave with the resources you need to continue your programming education on your own and with your fellow students. Our staff are predominantly from the NYC programming and open source communities.
Paul Logston is an avid python programmer and NYC Python Meetup attender. He currently writes code for the startup 15 Five. He also hosts the Saturday NYC Python meetup office hours.
Material for this workshop will follow outlines of these slides (https://github.com/mechanicalgirl/intro-to-python?source=c) written by a pylady in the ATX chapter. It'll cover data types, print, variables, if/else logic, loops, functions, objects.
Download the text editor before you come. Any one of these would work:
Help needed! Send a message to [masked]
* Seeking volunteers for TAing
* Seeking volunteers for setup and cleanup
* Seeking volunteer to take care of refreshments
* Seeking photography & social media assistance