What we're about
Native Plant Society of Texas promotes research, conservation & utilization of native plants & plant habitats of Texas through education, outreach & example. We want all Texans to value native plants, native habitats & healthy ecosystems as essential to the well-being of living things & to our quality of life. Our vision is a future where native habitats are managed as critically beneficial natural assets, & where residential & commercial developments employ sustainable designs that preserve and promote native habitats. The local chapter for Fort Worth, Arlington, Mid-Cities & surrounding communities ( http://www.txnativeplants.org/ ):
• hosts monthly meetings with guest speakers
• maintains native plant demonstration gardens at 3 locations
• grows local native plants and sells them to the public in a native plant sale each spring and fall to both raise funds for our group and also make native plants available to more gardeners and landscape managers
• conducts Native Landscape Certification classes to help you learn about native plants
• works with participating nurseries to promote native plants availability in the marketplace in our NICE! program
• meet up for nature / native plant walks and other field trips
• publishes a monthly newsletter
• provides guest speakers to other groups to talk about the benefits of native plants
• hosts information booths at community events
• connects our members by sharing photos and native plants among our group
• provides financial support to a) our state organization which awards research grants and scholarships, and b) other like minded organizations like Bring Back the Monarchs to Texas, Friends of Tandy Hills Prairie fest, etc.
• participates in native plant rescues for certain areas about to be developed.
As an all volunteer organization, we do all this and would like to do MORE, all while having fun and making new friends. Join our group to learn, share, participate, and give back.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Arun Gandhi (1934- )