What we’re about
Join us for a full range of outdoor activities all year round! From day hikes to 20+ mile challenges, from train-accessible local hikes to camping around the northeast, from lazy summer lake swimming to winter snowshoeing, ice climbing, and skiing, we do it all!
Most local trips are accessible via public transportation and we organize carpools when they are not.
These are not guided trips - these are social events. Remember that you are responsible for your own safety. Stay within your skill, fitness, and experience level.
- Have a profile photo showing your face. This is required so your organizers can remember who's who. And answer all the profile questions so we know a little about you and what kind of events we should plan
- Most day hikes are suitable for any fit individual with some prior hiking experience.
- Everyone should be comfortable hiking alone and be prepared to do so (with a map and an understanding of the route). We make an effort to stay together as a group, but sometimes the group does need to split up.
- If you're new to a particular activity or moving up a level, please contact the event organizer. It is often possible to accommodate less experienced members, but not always.
If you do not have any hiking experience at all, please hike with a professional guide service a few times.
Upcoming events (3)See all
- Winter Weekend in Lake PlacidNeeds location
Come join to Lake Placid for a weekend of winter activities
- Winter hiking in the high peaks
- Backcountry skiing (mostly XC but some AT)
- Downhill skilling at White Face
- Resort cross country at the ADK club’s Cascade Welcome Center and Mt Van Hoevenberg (both have gear rental)
- WhatsApp Chat
- Rides & Activities gsheet
- AllTrails Ideas: Northern ADKs Moderate Hikes on AllTrails
- Ski conditions
- Contact Andre with any questions about the trip
- Schedule: Plan to arrive Friday night. People usually do a full day of activities on Saturday and something shorter on Sunday before driving home. (It is roughly a 5-hour drive from NYC.)
- Cost: Attendees are responsible for their own lodging, food, transport, and other costs.
- Lodging: Tmax Hostel ($32/night for bunk rooms); ADK loj at Heart Lake also has bunks; Make your own reservations
- Transportation: Carpooling (Use the gSheet to coordinate rides)
- Recommended Experience Level: All events are member-organized. Hikers must be experienced winter hikers. Discuss experience levels, distance, difficulty, pace, and group dynamics with your co-participates.
- Plan for deep snow and ice: Snowshoes are required for all hikes and traction devices are needed for many hikes.
- Layered winter clothing suitable for temps in the teens and single digits on the summits: Wicking base-layer top and bottom; insulating top layer (fleece); windbreaker/ softshell jacket; insulated water-resistant pants; waterproof shell pants and jacket; big puffy jacket; warm gloves and mittens; face protection; winter hat; headlamp; waterproof hiking boots and gaiters; chemical hand and foot warmers
- Local weekday skiing!! Who's interested?Needs location
Hey guys n gals, this is just a general call out to see who would be into some weekday skiing in the Catskills/Berkshires resorts this season. Catamount, Belleayre, Butternut, Thunder Ridge, Berkshire East, would be the places we go to. If weekday skiing is something you can possibly do, please RSVP to this non-event. I have an SUV that can squeeze 5 peeps and 4 sets of skis so I can provide transport, and I'm near a Metro-North station 15 minutes from the Bronx. I also have great union discounts for many resorts.
If we qet a good amount of interest I will be posting weekday ski events starting early January.
See ya on the slopes!!
- Weekday ski at Big Snow! March 27Big Snow American Dream, East Rutherford, NJ
Let's ski at indoor Big Snow in Jersey! Groupon has a great discount for rental and lift tix. We'll ski for 2 hours then hang out.
Big Snow has a 50% off discount until tomorrow!!! Or you can use the discount Groupon.
Here's link to Groupon and lift tix/rental:
See you on the 27th!!