If you are Native or Non Native speak of Japanese, studying Japanese or is simply fascinated with everything Japan related. We might be the group for you.
We are a casual language and cultural exchange group. We are not a class and we do not teach Japanese. We meet regularly for socializing and language exchanging. As well as frequently joining other Japanese community events.
Our group is an excellent place for Japanese ESL (English as a Second Language) students to make social connections, practice English, learn about Canada and share some of their culture with Canadian natives.
Our volunteer Leadership Team, has always wanted to ensure that everyone who comes, enjoys the group. To that end, please review our Code of Conduct before you request to join.
Guidelines/Code of Conduct
1. Your Profile – This is what tells both the organizers and other members who you are:
- Use your real first name, and at least the first letter of your last name.
- Fill in the profile fields and ensure you answer all the questions.
- Post a picture which clearly indicates your face. If you are uncomfortable doing this, speak to one of the Organizers.
2. Japanese Language Skills – Being fluent in Japanese is by no means a requirement. But having studied some Japanese is expected.
3. Limited size – Because meeting space resources are limited, we simply can’t accommodate everyone who asks to join. As a result, people who have the most to contribute will be given priority.
4. Respect – We have a very diverse group. As a result, harassment, disrespectful conduct, offensive behavior, inappropriate comments and making others feel uncomfortable will not be tolerated.
5. We are not a singles / dating group – We are primarily a language exchange group. Please bear this in mind while you interact with other members of the group.
6. RSVP’s – If you intend to come, RSVPing is greatly appreciated. It helps ensure we have enough space and it ensures a more accurate representation of our attendance history.
7. Report problems – Fortunately problems with other members is extremely rare. But to ensure the group continues to be a safe and welcoming environment. Please ensure if you have a problem with a member, that you voice it to The Leadership Team.