We're a friendly walking group based in Barnet, North London. Our events are generally non-profit making and are run by volunteers. Our membership fees contribute towards the running of the group.
Our activities - Each year we organise:
• About 15 walking weekends away from London throughout the year, staying mainly in YHA accommodation or similar, all over England and Wales with the occasional trip abroad.
• About 20 day walks on Saturdays or Sundays throughout the year and occasional half day walks. These are usually in Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire or Essex.
• About 20 weekday evening walks, from April until early September. These are usually in north London or south Hertfordshire.
• Social evenings on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at Discovery Hall, Netherlands Road, East Barnet, from 8-10pm, featuring guest speakers, barbecues, competitions etc. Pub evenings on the 4th Tuesday. Contact us to find out which pub we will be in this month. Other events organised by members on an ad hoc basis, include cinema, theatre, restaurants etc.
That's over 100 events each year! Once you are a member, you can participate in as many or as few as you like, it's entirely up to you.
We set a limit to numbers on Meetup to avoid having too many on a walk. On most day walks or evening walks, between 10 and 20 people attend, or occasionally up to about 25 on a popular walk. These include those who RSVP through Meetup and some annual members.
Our walks are arranged by a variety of group members, and are at a moderate to brisk pace. If you walk slowly, you will find it difficult to keep up. You may find that the Ramblers’ health walks are more appropriate for you: https://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/walkfinder . All of our walks can (and usually do!) include muddy footpaths, even in the height of summer. You are therefore always advised to wear walking boots. Walks begin at the time stated and do not take into account bus or train arrival times. We do not check for, or respond to, requests for the start of any walk to be delayed. It is your responsibility to take delays into account when planning your journey and allow enough time to park and 'boot up'. Unless otherwise stated, it should be assumed that parking is on the road. Parking, as well as attendance on our walks, is always at your own risk.
Anyone can join our Meetup group free of charge, then you can attend THREE of our events (day/evening walks or Tuesday evening social meetings) free of charge (apart from any transport costs). If you book on a walk, and are unable to join us, please cancel your RSVP. This allows someone on the waitlist to join. If you do not cancel, the event may be counted as one of your three events.
After your 3 free events, you need to apply for annual membership if you wish to take part in further walks or other Group activities. You can continue to attend events while your membership application is pending. Annual membership costs £24 for a full year from 1st November 2018 to 31st October 2019 and is charged pro rata for your first year. Annual membership costs are halved for members under 18 or other concessions (see membership application from for details). This allows you to attend as many day/evening walks, weekends away or Tuesday evening social meetings as you like.
Advantages of annual membership:
• You may join on any of our walks or social events without the need to book on Meetup.
• You can join on any of our weekends away (space permitting)
• A programme of events sent to your inbox and updated monthly.
• A Group email list where members can send an email to all other members about walks, weekends away or other events that they are organising such as cinema visits or meals out.
• Encouragement and help to develop skills in walk leading, organising events and suggesting weekends away to places you would like to visit.