What we're about
Covid rules have now changed and we are finalising our latest day/evening walks and weekends away programmes. Please visit our Meetup page or website (www.northlondonoutdoorgroup.org.) regularly for latest details and updates. We look forward to seeing everybody in the near future.
We're a friendly walking group based in Barnet, North London. Our events are generally non-profit making and are run by volunteers. Our membership fees contribute towards the running of the group.
Our activities - Each year we organise:
- Walking weekends away from London throughout in the UK with the occasional trip abroad.
- About 20 day walks on Saturdays or Sundays throughout the year and occasional half day walks. These are usually in Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire or Essex.
- About 20 weekday evening walks, from April until September in the surrounding areas.
- Social evenings on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at Discovery Hall, Netherlands Road, East Barnet, from 8-10pm, featuring guest speakers, barbecues, competitions etc. Pub evenings on the 4th Tuesday. Contact us to find out which pub we will be in this month. Other events organised by members on an ad hoc basis, include cinema, theatre, restaurants etc.
Once you are a member, you can participate in as many or as few as you like, it's entirely up to you.
- We set a limit to numbers on Meetup to avoid having too many on a walk. On most day walks or evening walks, between 10 and 20 people attend, or occasionally up to about 25 on a popular walk. These include those who RSVP through Meetup and some annual members.
- Our walks are arranged by a variety of group members, and are at a moderate to brisk pace. If you walk slowly, you will find it difficult to keep up. You may find that the Ramblers’ health walks are more appropriate for you: https://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/walkfinder.
- All of our walks can (and usually do!) include muddy footpaths, even in the height of summer. You are therefore always advised to wear suitable footwear.
- Walks begin at the time stated and do not take into account bus or train arrival times. We do not check for, or respond to, requests for the start of any walk to be delayed. It is your responsibility to take delays into account when planning your journey and allow enough time to arrive be ready to go.
- Parking, as well as attendance on our walks, is always at your own risk.
Anyone can join our Meetup group free of charge, then you can attend THREE of our events (day/evening walks or Tuesday evening social meetings) free of charge (apart from any transport costs). If you book on a walk, and are unable to join us, please cancel your RSVP. This allows someone on the waitlist to join. If you do not cancel, the event may be counted as one of your three events.
After your 3 free events, we request that you apply for annual membership if you wish to take part in further walks or other Group activities. Please see our website for membership details.
Please visit our website at www.northlondonoutdoorgroup.org. There you can find:
• Our programme of activities including day walks, weekends away and Tuesday socials
• Information about our group
• A membership application form (in About Us > Membership Details)