Tastier than a book club! We are a group of diverse women in the North OKC area and surround who meet monthly on a Sunday evening for a dinner party. The group was started Sept 2014 by an intrepid, intelligent, and compassionate woman new to the OKC area and looking to make meaningful connections. When her life needs changed she bequeathed the group to new organizers and while the membership and culture of the group proves fluid over time, her original goal of uniting women with interesting conversation shared over delicious food has endured. This is an inclusive group and all are welcome who come with an interest (expertise not required!) in cooking and meeting others of like mind. If you live some distance from the North OKC area you may check with organizers to see if your location is compatible with the group’s current membership.
When We Meet:
Typically dinner is the 1st or 2nd Sunday of the month from 5:30 to 8:00(ish) pm.
Where We Meet:
We take turns hosting in our homes. The address of the hostess is viewable only to those in the group. Occasionally, rarely, we'll forgo our cooking to share a meal in a restaurant. This typically only occurs once or twice in a year.
What and How We Do It:
• The host for the month sets RSVP to the number of guests she can accommodate and chooses the theme or cuisine. Previous choices have been cuisines of Bolivia, Italy, France, Spain, Brazil, Lebanon, Jamaica, South Korea, China, Ireland, Greece, Mexico, and themes of great variation including: Chocolate for Dinner, Citrus, a Harry Potter Feast, Farewell to Summer, Eat Pray Love, Vegetarian Feast, Spanish Tapas, Fall Harvest, Paella, Home for the Holidays, Ring in the New Year with Clean Eating, Top Chef, Breakfast for Dinner, BBQ, Fabulous & Fancy Finger Foods, Mardis Gras, Coffee, Spring Eggstravaganza, Cinco de Mayo, Basil, and Red, White, and Blue. We’ve also had opportunities for a couple non-meal events such as a cooking lesson and a tour of Super Cao Nguyen.
The Meetup is posted with recipe suggestions for each course of the meal as a guide for dinner guests. As dinner guests begin to RSVP, they post their selected dish (may either be one of suggestions or another dish that fits the theme) to the comments section for that dinner party so other guests can select dishes to satisfy other courses of the meal. Typically by the time the meal is RSVP’d we’ll have an appetizer, salad and/or soup, entrée, sides, and a dessert. Fuller months may have more than one offering of a single course. We attempt to be adventurous in our chosen themes and make dishes we may otherwise not try on our own or serve in our own homes.
Participants should be mindful and offer to prepare different parts of the meal each month so that everyone has a chance to try their hand at making an entrée or dessert, etc. All food should be prepared in the participant’s home, and then brought to the host's home (remember to bring a serving utensil).
• General flow of our dinner parties: Host: responsibility is serving a theme-inspired cocktail as dinner guests arrive and settle it as well as creating atmosphere for dinner with music, table décor, and providing all beverages for the evening.
Dinner companions: cook their selected dish at their home and bring to the host’s home.
Following cocktails and appetizers is dinner, which usually includes a salad and/or soup course, entrée, sides, dessert and wine with each meal. The formality of the meal is determined by the host and ranges from formal sit-down courses, floor picnics, dining al fresco, but most commonly is simply a casual meal served family-style.
Fees & Fine Print:
• $20 annual fee to cover Meetup group fees, replacing dishes for last-minute cancellations, etc.
• Members who want to try out the group before officially joining will have a sixty day grace period to attend their first event. Please message the organizer for event details and location. If a member does not officially join the Edmond Cooking Club and make a deposit of $20 within the first sixty days of signing up, then Meetup will automatically remove them from the group.
• In order to curb lurkers and protect member privacy, if a member joins the group but does not participate in events they will be removed from the group at the organizers’ discretion and will forfeit their membership fee if already paid.
• This is a women/adults only event. Significant others and children will have to stay behind and eat peanut butter sandwiches while we give our undivided attention to enjoying our cooking and company!
• You may be wondering if you have to be a good cook to be in this group? Not at all! We all hope to gain some creativity in the kitchen and build cooking confidence through this process. Not only will we do we get to sharpen our culinary skills, we enjoy each other’s company along the way!