What we're about
Upcoming events (2)
July 30th at the Albanian American Cultural Center located at 350 E Southwest Parkway Lewisville, TX 75067, come join us to discuss drone use in Search and Rescue operations. This will be an approximately 3-4 hour class and is a prerequisite to attend the field practical that will be held in McKinney near Medical City McKinney building located at 4500 Medical Center Dr, McKinney, TX 75069.
This class is geared towards those who have some working knowledge of drones and can handle basic flight operations. This course was constructed to educate first responders as well as Law Enforcement in the use of all drone types within the scope of Search and Rescue. If you have ever had an interest in such use then please make plans for a Friday night and an all-day Saturday drone bash!
We will cover the following topics:
• Review sample Video Footage
• Review sample Photos
• Give a brief overview of drones
• Texas State/Federal Laws Regarding Drone Use
• Payload types for SAR
• Review of 4 cases
• Specific tactics of drone use in SAR
• Lessons learned in the field
• Skill sets needed
• Basics of drone systems/functions
• Specific programs of use for SAR drones
• General discussion about SAR qualifications/certification
For the class I recommend bringing your drone (especially if you have questions about its suitability), a laptop for quick searching of topics/information and your curiosity about how to do these types of operations. All potential crew members should attend.
For the field practical I recommend bringing sunglasses, charged batteries, hats, drinks, snacks, sunscreen, all of your drone equipment and if you have it bring a pop-up tent for some shared shade!
Schedule for July 30th:
Arrive at the Albanian American Cultural Center between 5:30 and 5:50PM, please do not be late. Class ends around 9-9:30PM.
Schedule for July 31st:
Arrive at the cornfield behind the Medical City of McKinney building between 8:30 and 9AM. Field practical will be a mock missing camper and will go on until all have a chance to find the targets. Pilot briefing will begin between 9 and 9:15AM, DO NOT BE LATE.
For those of you that have been with NTDUG for a long time I'd like to offer up a throwback! With September 4th as the primary date and September 11th as a backup date I'd like to present a drone based Search and Rescue Challenge about 8 hours north of Dallas, TX. The location has been cleared by the Jayhawk Model Master's RC club (and will be a fully sanctioned event) as well as the Army Core of Engineers for this use.
There is also a two day training course that NTDUG will be hosting in the DFW area as soon as the practice field has been approved! A separate meetup event will be made for the SAR training course but will not be required for entry in this SAR Challenge.
The event is free but due to the fact that this is a sanctioned AMA airfield only the Pilot In Charge (the person directly controlling the drone) will need to purchase a trial membership with the AMA at cost of approximately $20. Those who already have an AMA membership are good to go!
Individuals, colleges, companies, family teams or just a bunch of bros are welcome to participate!
Tentative Schedule is a follows:
• Sept 4th, 2021 and a backup date of Sept 11, 2021
• Event Officials arrive at 8AM
• Teams may arrive at the field no earlier than 8:30AM but may NOT unload/use/inspect equipment until after Team Briefings are concluded
• 9AM - 9:30AM Team Briefings/Group Photo
• 9:30AM – 10AM Ground Control Station Setup Begins and Ends
• 10AM – 10:30AM Flight testing/debugging allowed for all field, NO ACTIVE PAYLOADS at this time.
• 10:30AM – 12:30PM will be Flight Operations
• 12:30PM to 1PM will be lunch break/demos
• 1PM – 4PM will be Flight Operations *possible extension for additional flights may occur*
• 4PM – 5PM Final Image Analysis Reports must be turned in
• 5PM – 5:30PM Jayhawk Model Master's SAR Challenge tallies are taken
• 5:30PM The winners are announced and a photo of all teams is retaken
• 5:30PM+ Field cleanup (all help for this is welcome)
As with all schedules there will be delays and unforeseen problems. All reasonable attempts will be made to keep the schedule.
A full description of contest rules are located at:
The link to the location's hosting club website is:
Please note that contest rules may change but if they do they will be updated via the link above and noted below.
Anyone may attend but teams must fill out the Entry Form located in the JMM SAR CHALLENGE word doc linked above. Please send the form to [masked].
For any questions or suggestions please feel free to call/text me at[masked] anytime!