addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

North Texas Outdoors Message Board › Handheld GPS

Handheld GPS

Johnny H.
user 10485579
McCall, ID
Post #: 2
So I'm in the market for a new handheld GPS and I'm going back and forth between the Garmin GPS 60CSx Handheld GPS Navigator and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 Handheld. I thought it prudent to gain the opinion and wisdom of my fellow North Texas "Outdoories." :) The DeLorme is the cheaper of the two via Amazon, FYI....

Thoughts?

Garmin
https://buy.garmin.co...­

DeLorme
http://shop.delorme.c...­

Thanks!
kaustubh
kaus
Irving, TX
Post #: 32
I looked at these options and felt that, Garmin etrex vista hcx was a better option as it is light weight, powerful , uses reusable AA battery, splash resist, nautical/land mode, and best is super long battery life.

lasts 25 hrs on a good reusable battery.

I also have lot of maps for them you can borrow.

If you read the reviews its the best gps for the price I paid 190$ for it.

A former member
Post #: 35
When I take a gps, it's a garmin foretrex 101, no longer sold. It's non-mapping. But, of the other hikers I know that are serious about gps and lead trips for the Sierra Club, they all use the garmin you mention above. It's been around a few years. The garmin Kaustab mentions is newer, maybe less features, but no slouch either. Maybe some others will comment. If the garmin foretrex 301 ever goes closer to 100 bucks, I will probably get one.

I am not sure what brand Tom uses, maybe Delorme.