This group is about making friends. Our focus is on young adults ages 21-30 with High Functioning Autism (medically diagnosed and self-diagnosed). Some of our members have difficulty making friends for a variety of reasons; shyness, anxiety, etc. Many have challenges like Asperger’s Syndrome, OCD, ADD, ADHD etc., which may make forming friendships more difficult. Some simply don’t have the environment or opportunity to make friends they are comfortable with. This group is to help them meet and bond with peers and hopefully form some great friendships in an accepting environment. So, if you or your young adult are looking to make friends you've come to the right place. We are are group of nice, low pressure, open minded people. Everyone here is after the same thing, finding a group they feel welcome, a place where they belong. If this group sounds like it could benefit you or your young adult, please consider joining. Parents are welcome to all of our Meetups. Members are welcome to make suggestions about gatherings that they will enjoy.
Thanks, and we hope to see you at our next gathering
Please understand the group organizers and hosts do not monitor or watch the young adults. The group organizers and hosts accept no responsibility other than organizing and/or facilitating our events. We have a diverse group of great young people that have varying abilities, most of whom are legal adults. We also have a wonderful group of caring parents, all of whom are concerned about their own young people. We strongly encourage everyone in the group to be independent while also cautioning that there is no staff or professionals to address problems or issues that might arise relating to the struggles some of the young people may experience.
The organizers of this group have dedicated their free time to helping run this group. It takes time, effort and organization. We rely on how people respond to events. Knowing who is coming to an event makes a difference and knowing we will have enough room for everyone is important. Please follow these guidelines to make sure things go smoothly and allows us to build a better community for the members. Failure to follow our group etiquette may result in removal from our group.
ALWAYS – RSVP to an event you plan on attending. If your plans change, please your response.
NEVER – bring a guest, this includes your teen/young adult, unless you RSVP with a +1. We need to know how many people are showing up.
NEVER – use this group website to solicit or sell products and services.
Our group is dedicated to helping young adults dealing with various social, emotional and intellectual differences make friends. Each one is different and each has different levels of ability dealing with the various situations they may find themselves in while participating in our group activities. Please read the policies below regarding responsibility for you or your young adult.
1. This group is specifically geared towards young adults ages 21-30 who are capable of unsupervised activities and interaction with the rest of the group. Those who may need more supervision or assistance may supply it via a parent or guardian or possibly find a group better suited to their needs.
2. Those under the age of 21 MUST have a parent or guardian present at all events. Do not ask if it's ok to leave them during an event, it is not.
3. Those over 18 will be treated as responsible, legal adults. If you are a parent, no one knows them better than you. Do not ask to leave if they may have difficulty on their own. It is not fair to them, the organizers, hosts or the rest of the group. If they require assistance it must be supplied from outside this group.
4. While we strive to create a safe and friendly environment, no one will be watching your young adult. If they need assistance it must come from you. Most of our members are extremely kind parents and young adults. However, they will typically be enjoying an activity or even dealing with their own concerns during an event. We are trying to create an environment where the young people can be independent and work out difficulties on their own. All attendees assume responsibility for themselves and any guests they bring.
7. Organizers and hosts are not professionals, doctors or therapists. We simply dedicate some of our free time to help facilitate a social environment for the members.
8. The organizers and hosts receive no compensation for the time and work they put into this group, please respect their efforts by making sure to follow group guidelines.
In an effort to provide this group with enjoyable activities and entertainment, from time to time North Jersey Young Adults Making Friends holds events for it’s members. These events are for the benefit of all members and occasionally their families as well. At times these events are hosted by a member or sponsor who opens up their homes or space for the benefit of the group with no monetary benefit to the host. At these times, it is prudent to ensure the host is protected against of any potential legal issues that may arise as a result the host’s willingness to provide a venue for these activities. This disclaimer is a means to do so.
The Event Host and North Jersey Young Adults Making Friends do not provide liability insurance for the protection of individuals, groups, families, or others who may participate in the North Jersey Young Adults Making Friends Meetup Event. In consideration for your participation in said North Jersey Young Adults Making Friends Meetup Event, the individuals, groups, families, or others, do hereby release and forever discharge The Event Host and North Jersey Young Adults Making Friends, its officers, and volunteers, jointly and severally from any and all actions, causes of actions, claims and demands for, upon or by reason of any damage, loss or injury, which hereafter may be sustained by participating in the North Jersey Young Adults Making Friends Meetup Event.
This release extends, applies to, covers and includes, all unknown, unforeseen, unanticipated and unsuspected injuries, damages, loss and liability and the consequences thereof, as well as those now disclosed and known to exist. The provisions of any state, federal, local or territorial law or state providing substance that releases shall not extend to claims, demands, injuries, or damages which are known or unsuspected to exist at this time, to the person executing such release, are hereby expressly waived.
By accepting the invitation, RSVP’ing and/or attending the North Jersey Young Adults Making Friends Meetup Event, I hereby agree on behalf of myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns, to indemnify The Event Host and North Jersey Young Adults Making Friends and its officers and volunteers, joint and severally from any and all actions, causes of actions, claims and demands for, upon or by reason of any damage, loss or injury, which hereafter may be sustained by participating in the North Jersey Young Adults Making Friends Meetup Event. Furthermore, I agree to take full responsibility for any liability arising from any guest, offspring or associate that attends with me.