addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Devon
mouseydew
Gloucester, MA
Post #: 59
Hi all,

I was just curious to know what projects folks have planned or going on. After a recent trip to WMass, I'm attempting to make apple butter after having it at Judie's in Amherst. Also, I am attempting to brew hard cider; nice to hear the airlock bubbling away :) Would love to hear tips on either or suggestions to resources.
Iris W.
HerbIris
Wenham, MA
Post #: 86
I made apple butter with apples, local drops and crabs, and a bit of quince. Cooked it down, added sugar and spices. Am dehydrating the apple drops from the trees near my hose. Have also dehydrated kale, carrots, eve. primrose roots.
lee l.
user 13126023
Beverly, MA
Post #: 25
Well Devon, I've picked bushels of Concord grapes from my vine and made about 5 gallons of grape juice (all gone now!) and I have another five gallons of wine burbling away in the house. The wine has been a learning process and I'm not all that thrilled with it, but when it stops fermenting I plan to doctor it a bit by adding some brandy and liquer and call it Auntie Lee's fortified wine. Maybe around the new year we can have a tasting party.

I'm also going to be helping a fellow TimeBanker in Manchester process her apples. Are you interested in joining us?
Devon
mouseydew
Gloucester, MA
Post #: 60
The tasting party is a super idea! I'm going to add it to the suggested Meetup list. What a grand way to ring in the new year.
Elizabeth
sucrame2001
Group Organizer
Newburyport, MA
Post #: 55
I've been dehydrating some things throughout the summer --- peaches, tomatos ... and will continue doing that with the fall vegetables.

I hope to make sauerkraut and try yogurt (don't think I can make your meeting Devon, but it is a great idea)

I also plan to do some winterizing ... making snakes to stop door drafts, as well as constructing some interior storms like the ones I saw at the workshop last month.

Elizabeth
Iris W.
HerbIris
Wenham, MA
Post #: 87
Hi all, tasting party, yeah!

Lee, don't count your wine out yet, it must take its time to do its thing, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Elizabeth, I have a "snake" looking for a home if you need it to prevent drafts.

Take care, Iris