addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group March 2013 and on

Books for the group March 2013 and on

Closed to new replies

cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 14
If Ron wants to read some novels by a Latin American author set in a Latin America, I would suggest anything by Gabriel García Márquez. His most famous work is Love in the Time of Cholera, but I've already marked two other works on my queue. I'd like to read either One Hundred Years of Solitude or The General in His Labyrinth. Of course, I won't turn down LitToC, either.
Ron
user 15891141
Arlington, TX
Post #: 60
I'm actually a huge fan of Marquez, but I'm loathe to recommend books I've already read, so I thought I'd put up Allende instead. :-)
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 15
yeah, I saw on goodreads that you read Love in the Time of Cholera, but you only marked One Hundred Years of Solitude as to-read. I really wanted to read that one, so I figured I'd rec it.

I saw that Damon already read One Hundred Years of Solitude, so that's why I threw in The General in His Labyrinth.

I'd be cool with anything else of his, but those are the only three I've heard of and thought about checking out.
Barbara K.
user 8861048
Euless, TX
Post #: 8
I would like to add Joseph Conrad's 'The Heart of Darkness' and 'The Secret Agent' to be voted on for the next group of books
Barbara
A former member
Post #: 782
From Thuy:

1. "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein.

2. "The Tale of Edgar Sawtelle" by David Wroblewski

3. "The Curious Incident of Dog in the Nighttime" by Mark Haddon.

4. "Marley & Me" by John Grogan.

5. "White Fang" by Jack London.

6. "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls.
Kendra
user 11328019
Rowlett, TX
Post #: 218
The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne

[Because they're classics, because they've got swashbuckling, and because inside I think I might be a 12-yr old boy]
Kendra
user 11328019
Rowlett, TX
Post #: 219
World War Z - Max Brooks

[I put this up last time but it was a no-go so I'm putting it up again and crossing my fingers... Come on, people, it's got Zombies! Maybe I didn't specify that clearly enough last time. It's more than about the undead, of course, and this was a huge bestseller. It's supposed to be an oral history of the war between humans and zombies - apocalyptic literature at its finest. Maybe consider it for Halloween or next Christmas when you're ready to wrap the tinsel round and round Uncle George's neck?]
Sandra N.
Diva13531
Dallas, TX
Post #: 8
I wanted to submit a few book read suggestions:
1. Living with Ghosts - Kari Sperring (fairly new author)
2. Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 19
I know I've already recommended 9 other books, but since we need more recs, I was planning on reading Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr and The Dog Stars by Peter Heller.

Last Exit to Brooklyn was actually pretty controversial and was a banned book. For some reason, the Fort Worth public library didn't have a copy in their catalog. I was really surprised, wondering whether they would really keep a banned book from being in circulation nowadays, but I recommended they order a copy and they were more than willing. They were actually just as surprised as I was that they didn't have any copies, since it's considered to be a contemporary classic.

The Dog Stars is a newer book, so I'm sure there's less of that classic language or lifestyles that is so much harder to relate to. Here's another dystopian sci-fi book that we can give a shot. It's gotten quite a few good reviews and is supposed to be equally amusing and poetic. Plus, I always really love post-apocalyptic stuff.

I noticed some past meetups have featured a couple of books by Christopher Moore. I enjoyed Lamb and wouldn't mind seeing what else he has to offer. A Dirty Job sounds pretty entertaining and is already on my to-read list.

I'd also like to read anything by Nick Hornby. I've only ever seen the movies based on his books (he wrote High Fidelity, which I absolutely LOVE, and About a Boy, which I also really enjoyed), so I really want to read his books. Since High Fidelity was already featured in this meetup, I'd be willing to check out any of his other works, also.

Phew! That's a lot. If I think of any more, I'll be sure to post them.

As per suggestion, I haven't read any of these, but they are some I really would like to read and already intend to.
Carrie
user 9120589
Milton, MA
Post #: 5
PS I haven't mentioned Ann Patchett, who's my latest favorite author. I enjoyed Run a lot, which I read most recently, and Taft is her only novel I haven't read. Bel Canto and the one about South America were also wonderful, but I think I liked Run the best. She has published a few memoirs but they aren't as appealing to me.

Carrie