Welcome tennis players. Our tennis group consists of a random group of people, some of which have been playing tennis for many years. This group was formed to find new and fun people to play tennis with, make new friends and to possibly take our game to the next level. We play outdoors in the summer and indoors in the winter. Occasionally after tennis, we’ll go out for a drink. Please feel free to join us anytime. Please read everything below and join us for some tennis fun and exercise. See you on the courts!
**SKILL LEVEL REQUIREMENTS**
This Meetup is open for intermediate players and up; for example a 3.5 USTA ranking or higher (https://assets.usta.com/assets/1/15/ExperiencedGuidelines_02142011_V2pdf.pdf). As defined by USTA, a 3.5 player has achieved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but still lacks depth, variety and the ability to alter distance of shots. The effective use of lobs, overheads, approach shots, and volleys is limited. This player is more comfortable at the net, has improved court awareness, and is developing teamwork in doubles.
We organizers will do our best to match up similar skill level players with one another to keep the matchups fun for all. When possible we will switch courts and/or partners (if playing doubles) for variety.
In case of bad weather please follow the comment section of the current Meetup and the organizers will do our best make a decision between 4pm and 5pm on that day.
Players who fail to follow these rules could be subject to removal from the group. No-shows could also result in removal from the group.
1. MEMBERS ONLY: You must be a member of the group to participate, no guests please. We need to ensure that every member has filled out the questionnaire for level of play to properly assign court matchups. Each player must pay a $10 Yearly Membership fee (this is less than 2 hours of one indoor tennis session) which covers the Meetup membership fees. Any excess of money will be spent on tennis balls, water, or a post outdoor season party. If you’re a part of our other group you will only be required to pay once.
Note: If you’re a new player or just visiting from out of town, please feel free to join us once free of charge. This way you can see if our group fits you before paying.
2. RSVP POLICY: If you RSVP, but are unable to attend, please change your RSVP as soon as possible or at the very latest, by the cancellation deadline posted in the Meetup description. Not canceling your reservation could create an odd numbers of players and doesn’t allow those on the waitlist (see item 3) to play. Players with 2 or more no-shows without proper cancellation are subject to removal from the group.
WINTER WALK-ON RSVP: For winter play it’s even more important that you change your RSVP as soon as possible because by not doing so will cost players money. No-shows during the winter are more strictly enforced because of this. So please be mindful and update your RSVP’s as soon as you can when you sign up for winter play.
Note: We understand that things happen in life and late cancellations may be necessary at times. We just kindly ask that you let the organizer know ASAP by sending a text/call, sending a Meetup message, or by posting in that Meetup’s discussion board so that they can make appropriate adjustments.
3. WAITLIST: Due to court availability, we place a limit of 8-12 players for each Meetup. If there are more than the limit, Meetup will automatically create a "Waitlist" and will move people from that list to RSVP if there's a cancellation. We respectfully ask that all players on this list be available to play in case someone drops on the RSVP list, even on the day of the Meetup. If you aren’t sure that you can make it please remove yourself from the waitlist.
Note: If there are enough RSVPs on the waitlist, the organizers may open the Meetup to add more courts for the players who are on the waitlist. This will depend on court availability at that particular location.
4. PHOTO: We request that members display their actual photo and name on our meetup site so we know who you are when you show up.
5. ARRIVAL TIME: We ask that all players do their best to show up on time and stay until the end of the meetup. If you are running late, please post on that particular Meetup’s discussion, PM or text the organizer.
6. EVEN NUMBER: We prefer an even number of players. If you were the last RSVP and you make it an odd number we kindly ask you to change your RSVP to “No” before the Meetup starts. We will do our best to see if we can find a player to keep it even. It is not always possible to avoid this situation.
8. DELAYS: If playing in early spring, late summer or fall and there is a high school match being played, please do not go on the courts until an organizer confirms that it’s alright to do so.
9. RESPECT: Please be kind, courteous and respectful to everyone. We are all here to have a good time while getting some exercise and improving our tennis skills.
10. FORMAT: Unless stated in the Meetup header the format will be as follows. If enough players are willing to play singles, and we have enough courts available, we will do so. Otherwise, we will default to doubles. When possible, we will switch partners and/or opponents for variety of play.
11. TENNIS BALLS: Bring some tennis balls! Please don’t assume everyone will have some. If we all pitch in, it will be a lot cheaper for everyone in the long run.
12. FUN: Lastly and most importantly: have fun!!!
We have multiple options for payment. You can pay via PayPal, Venmo, Google Pay or with Cash when you show up to the Meetup. For payment info please contact Steve via Meetup message or text (see next section for contact info).
**RELEASE AND WAIVER**
By signing up for this Meetup group, I agree that the organizers of this group and its members will not be held responsible for the actions of any participant at any event including myself. Each person attends an event at their own risk and is solely responsible for any injuries, losses, illness, or consequences to themselves or others, damages to equipment or other personal property, and any other consequence.
If you have further questions, comments, suggestions or concerns please contact us via text message or by sending us a Meetup message.