addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Orange County's Android Community Group for Developers+Users Message Board ( LB1GH0=_ Administration not person-specific http://1.JotHere.com/LB1GH0) › Optional settings (venues, mailing lists & message boards, currency, Goo

Optional settings (venues, mailing lists & message boards, currency, Google Analytics, Follow us on)

A former member
Post #: 267
This thread is to note changes & reasons for the settings of http://www.meetup.com...­ which describes itself on http://www.meetup.com...­ as

Optional features
Meetup Venues
Mailing lists and message boards
Set your default currency
Track web stats using Google Analytics
Follow us on

A former member
Post #: 268
Set mailing list to require approval:
On http://www.meetup.com...­ I changed "Mailing list"

• to "Allow all members to send messages, but Organizers approve messages first"
  • from "Allow all members to send messages "
  • since on Friday, without knowledge nor approval of any of our group leaders, a brand-new member joined our group then immediately & unexpectedly & unnecessarily emailed an announcement (indeed an event announcement for all of us to attend) to all members subscribing to our email list (which, on Meetup, is ON by default). So:

• Clearly the door WAS open for anyone to spam not just our website (which isn't too bad because there it can be easily edited or deleted), but to spam email out all members (which, as email, can never be removed), and by merely completing a profile for meetup & our group then sending to our mailing list --yes, 3 steps, but still all doable in minutes with 0 human approvals, and it happened here. My bad for not having closed this security hole; it was open because I didn't create the site, just took it over when it had been running (not meeting, but communicating) so forgot to check this setting.
    • And now to a very limited degree this happened here. So what happened & why?

• Yes in this case quite fortunately the email didn't seem to do any serious & unrepairable damage to members, indeed, the email looked fine,
        BUT
      • The this email from him was premature, ironically the very thing he had told me he DIDN'T want to happen (and which I agreed & indicated to him, and effectively did as well), but he apparently unthinking, unknowing, & untrusting, & unreading that I had actually done so, he apparently took it upon himself to to correct wrongs that never really happened, so ironically doing them himself the very things he didn't want happen, plus a bit of (ideally fixable) disrespect to me/us as well.
      • so, from the perspective of all our group leaders, this email still was still spam (unwanted, unsolicited email) and was a bit upsetting COULD have done damage and indeed serious damage to the group, as the bulk email was still

• unapproved, unexpected, and unnecessary, and,
        • quite UNLIKE ANY public Message Board postings ever COULD BE (what this seemingly-counter action was in response to),
          this announcing was immediate & editable & undeletable after, and it DID actually go out in full to all members who subscribe to the list (nearly 20 members immediately replied), just as EVERY email to the whole group does.

More explaining that, in this case it was an event that he & I were working on and it was mostly ready, but none of our group leaders had approved announcing it and I had publicly posted to him specifically that we deliberately HADN'T yet announced it (because it wasn't fully ready nor approved) and there certainly was no emergency to announce it, but for some reason

he went ahead and joined our group seemingly for this initial task to email all our members, and went ahead and did so, something we've never had any person do to us in the nearly 1 year I've lead the group; indeed, especially he being a Head Organizer of another group, he should know better to than to not just propose but suddenly EMAIL OUT an announcement that another group he had never even joined was now having an event, especially being a member who had just joined. BUT this could be in part my fault here (as our Head Leader), as our email list WAS offered to any member and without approval; moreover, though the default I believe on Meetup is for email-to-group to work without approval, he could have expected it approval if our group had deemed it necessary (there seems know way on Meetup for the sender to know except to try it). Still,
      • His email was apparently in response to mis-believing we had sent email, and despite my words that we hadn't. Moreover, as a Head Organizer of Meetup group, indeed for years, of a rather successful group, and being quite technical, he should know that,

• Meetup Message boards are quite unlike bulk email to the group, including that they:

• don't EVER EMAIL out their content (other than just the title), and
          • that email ONLY occurs once a day (at midnight), is only only one combined synopsis all threads that changed of all groups the person belongs to, and only listing the threads & discussions for which for which the user subscribes, AND ALL Message Board subscriptions ARE TRAGICALLY OFF by default, so it's in fact, unless you go to extra trouble to announce message board posts, even the main recipient of the post is unlikely to see it
          • And all content on Message Board posts is easy to instantly change.
          So any worry about stuff of his (or anyone else) simply posted on a Message Board should be minor, which he should know (as again it's easy to fix and rather UNLIKELY that anyone saw it if unannounced, which is the default.

• Event listings are readily posted on Meetup but can be un-emailed out (and this one was, and I said so on it & referring to)
      But it seems he didn't know and/or he didn't read & think, apparently because he assumed disrespect and offense to him which wasn't there (indeed rather my post was to show respect that that I treat my members of doing transparent planning of an event they they were to do, something it would seem every organizer should do for the people s/he leads, but this person, who was also a Head Organizer, was emailing me direct on something that could have been easily not kept secret from his members & ours).
      And so perhaps he thought he had to email out some correction email to everybody, when instead our group had sent out NO email to any to any members, which he should also see & know (and would have known, had he also bothered to be a member of our group first, just as I (Head Organizer) has long been a member of his group).
      But apparently this new member wasn't knowing or thinking, so instead did counter disrespect (this, and a number of number of other things and without warning, including he also replied to my post, posting his negative thoughts on the matter then closed the thread so I (nor anyone) could reply there, a notable abuse of admin power, and when there was NO emergency).
    • Now per (Communicate foremost by appropriate posting)LHPXDE and similar, in general emails to group members should NEVER be done other than just point-to material on the website which members can then go to the website for full details & comment on. So it would seem to make sense to select "Turn mailing list off". However, people are in the habit of email & email lists, so keeping it "on but with approval" still still encourages the news to be written up & gathered, but then generally not sent via the email list: instead the person can be redirected (by a leader) to use the proper posting means (event proposal, discussion board, etc). A perfect example is this email to the group which should have been an event listing; I let him know via Greet on [url=http://www.meetup.com/OCAndroid/mem­be
A former member
Post #: 349
(LTUQ24=

(LTUQ2E=I changed mailing list name
(via=http://www.meetup.com/OCAndroid/m­anage/settings/optional/)
(fr=Android-Developers-Users-Superuser­s-Mixup-Group)
(fr-list=Android-Developers-Users-Supe­rusers-Mixup-Group-list@meetup.com)
(to=OCAndroid)
(to-list=OCAndroid-list@meetup.com)­
(as=matches our present URL, Meetup.com/OCAndroid
(actually should have been done when that new URL took place ~1yr ago but, not using the mailing list and not noticing event announcements were coming from it (since I was sending them not reading them!), I didn't notice this outdated namewas still in use)))