addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Orange County's Android Community Group for Developers+Users Message Board OCAndroid jobs offered & wanted http://1.JotHere.com/LB1GG6 › Our group getting respectably compensated for matching members to jobs http:

Our group getting respectably compensated for matching members to jobs http://1.JotHere.com/LTE2C2

A former member
Post #: 332
(This thread=(LTE2C2=Our group getting respectably compensated for matching members to jobs http://1.JotHere.com/...­))

(This post=(LTE2FX=_ present situation)

• (LTE360=Quality tech groups (including this one) don't come for free! But instead take weeks & months of serious work to start, build, & run.

• (LTE2I1=This is a tech group with high standards (see the new "Read more about this group" on our home page, updated to cover our rapid growth))
    • (LTE4N4=And some high standards take a huge amount of work to put in place, as
      (LTE2U6 having small groups and where everyone gets to know each other (vs. a big presentation))
      (LTE2UM having several custom, small meeting tracks tailored to member's requests, and designing them so they'll be maximally easy (once deigned) for most anyone in the sub-group to run)
      (LTE2X6 documenting all this and finding & training all the leaders to run it (instead of just running a group by oneself, which is not nearly as scalable nor powerful))
      (LTE31Z finding & scheduling bigger & bigger free but full-featured venues, complete with wifi & projectors, for the increasing turn out )
      --As Head Organizer (& effectively-founder, after the 1st meeting held by Stuart who has since left the area), these end up taking me a huge amount of work, especially designing & starting it, but also running it)
    • (LTE348 For many weeks this year, running this group has been (and presently is) more than a full-time job for me))

• (LTE3BQ=And so far, even though I'm Head Organizer, I've been paid 0 for my time. Indeed the group has received 0 dollars, including it's free to join. I just do it as service to the community and maybe develop portable methods of running technical groups. I don't even work in the subject matter (my specialty is in SQL & JavaScript & wikis, which I've had very little time for recently with running & growing OCAndroid to meet the demand.)
  • (LTE3NT=However recruiters seem to be increasingly scoring from what we bring them

• (LTE3HS=on at least 3 occasions, I've seen recruiters & others looking to hire show up and immediately score by hiring one of our better members, sometimes on just 1 meeting.)
    • (LTE3MX And recruiting can pay well. Indeed, when a recruiter placed me in a job in Oracle Corp years ago, Oracle paid them 25% of my annual salary for just matching & setting up the interview!)
    • (LTE3QH=And now with our group quickly growing and becoming increasingly known, we have:
      (LTE3WH=individual recruiters applying and waiting to join) and
      (LTE3X6=today I learned one company, plan to hire 80 local people, presumably local Android developers and their staff of recruiters, urgently wants us to promote their presentation they're doing as we're the leading Android community group in the area.
    )
  • (LTE40S= Well
    if companies are prepared to pay recruiters, and pay them well (over $10K per person) for each job filled,
    and a community group has has & is taking weeks & months of work identifying & collecting a local talent pool (and sometimes going beyond that as we do: also helping & teaming members in their field & earning their trust; and perhaps (as our case) being the leading community group in the area by far),
    then it would be appropriate that the community group get compensated, and compensated also appropriately, for every member it helps help place in a job, else say bulk-sponsored in some way which equally fair

(LTKZDN=so naturally it would then be appropriate that a community group stands up stand up for such compensation as it probably would not be automatically given
    (LTE6KQ=Indeed, with this recent company planning to hire 80, so far it has had a particular feeling as we the community groups being unappreciated for the promo & recommendation they need & we give them:

• (LTL23S=Pro: They're a famous firm in our industry)
    • (LTL24E=Pro: They're working on stuff related to us & presenting on something relevant & quite attention-getting to our members)
    • (LTL2IV=Small con/oddity: they require exact attendance counts AND NAMES)
    • (LTL27R=Con: the event they're having is just entirely tied to them: a promotion of their new product(s), plus their workplace & where possible their jobs)
    • (LTL286=Con: only 6 days before did they officially contact me on this big event (with an official POC from them), even though I'd been asking them for an official POC for a month including to know if the event was really happening & official)
    • (LTL28K=Con: they don't ask but expect us to rush to promote it (yes, without even saying "Could you? We would appreciate if you..", though that may be an accident))
    • (LTL2AQ=Note another community group head is to also to blame for these last 2 problems as he forced our group & this company to only talk thru him (and really not talk) as he refused to give each of us even the other's name until just 1 week before, apparently as he was forced to as I long said I wouldn't do&promote it w/o that).
      (LTL2E8=His refusal so so odd,troublesome,suspicious,&risky(wa­s the other real?), it eventually made me wonder if he was getting kickbacks from the company he was promoing that he didn't want to share w/anyone, but so far the company says they're not paying him anything either.)
    • (LTL2LB=Con: they want everyone to come see them present at 6pm without even offering attendees just sodas & cookies, not even pizza or some meal.)
    • (LTL2LT=Serious con: No plans of paying us anything; THOUGH when asked of this & $ appreciation, POC said they would consider sponsoring us next time.)
    • (LTL2M9=And all the cons above, even though don't argue user groups have worked hard to build up what we've got (all our members &their trust) and our advertising is valuable to them & makes them $$ & fills their positions for which they pay serious $ to recruiters.)
    )))
  • (LTL3JO=--because each post can only be ~7280 characters, see my next post for (LTE4CF=So how to set this up? ...))
)
A former member
Post #: 333
(LTL3M1=continued from my prior post as wouldn't fit there:

• (LTE4CF=So how to set this up? --to see that our group gets appropriately compensated (as by employers) for ideally-each job position filled due to our work

• (LTE5E3=What are the standards here?
      (LTE4DU=I don't know of any other community groups doing finder fees --I'm just starting to look into this now.)
      (LTKLG5=I do no of plenty of local .NET/Microsoft user groups which hold meetings paid by sponsors.
      (LTKLHG=The most notable is http://SoCalCodeCamp....­ which I believe charges $100s or $1000s of dollars per company to be listed as say a bronze thru gold sponsor and so pedal their wares (& perhaps recruit) there.)
      )
    • (LTE4O1=It would make sense to me that the money or other compensation be given to the group then, subtracting operation costs (besides leader person*hours), then be divided among the leaders of the group roughly proportionate to the hours each put in.)
    • (LTE4FN=It would seem appropriate that employers-else-recruiters would compensate the group by:

• (LTE4UL=paying small % of the hired-member's salary/compensation, for some period of time (no more than his/her 1st year).)
      • (LTE4GK=Maybe serious donations to the group, as food for everyone. --I've seen this done. But that doesn't begin to cover leader's time investment. So it would probably not be enough.)
      )
    • (LTE4IY=I will start asking those who might know about this, as say recruiters in our group and members who have recently been-thru or know the recruiting experience.)
    )
)

(This post=(LTEALL=a first new rule towards our goal of placement compensation

• (LTEAMZ Clearly our group can't be compensated if we don't know about it.)
  • (LTEAOW=So I've just added to our Home Page's "Read More about us" at the end:

(LTE8FA=This group is a free service to the general public and has led many people to find jobs & fill positions; but facilitating that, and running this group, takes hard work and we want credit where it's due. If you find paid work or fill a paid position with the help of our group, you must let the head of our group know within a week. )

• (LTEAQI=For better or worse, this doesn't (yet) say there is any charge for placement, but, per above, my goal is there will be if this can bring in meaningful $.)
  • (LTLKNJ=About 1 day later, I further updated this "Read more about us", replacing LTEAOW above with this improved & expanded text relevant to recruiters & job seekers (and the last point also relevant to everyone):

• (LTE8FA=If your involvement with our group helps you get paid work or fill a paid position, you must let the head of our group know within a week.
      (LTFJ7P=This group is a free service to the general public and has led many people to find jobs & fill positions; but, per this thread, facilitating all this (finding jobs & good people, and training & meetings & making-connections) and running this group takes hard work and we want & need credit where it's due.))
    • (LTECO0=With each other (and ideally everyone), members should (communicate foremost by appropriate posting)LRBX9W and avoid private-messages & calls when possible to avoid. For instance,
      (LTED3B=News & info about venues is posted on the venue's thread so all can see, benefit, & reply.)
      (LTED7B=For jobs (recruiters especially, take note!), one (posts the need as a thread in the forum of Jobs Offered & Wanted) and (at least for the reply, encourages reply posts there rather than privately contacting back); the forum's also private so other employers can't see.)
      (LTECMG=No posting direct contacts (as phone #s & emails) except for carpooling & finding-at-a-group-event.))
    )
)