addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Report on debate

Report on debate

Chris L.
Maximum_Liberty
Allen, TX
Post #: 11
I found this interesting: http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2011/01/rand_the_intuit.html­.

Quote:
The topic: Are there conflicts of interest between rational people? If you're inclined to respond, "Of course. So what?," the answer is: A great deal... if, like Objectivists, you're both an ethical egoist and a rights-based libertarian. How can you always do whatever best promotes your rational self-interest, and consistently respect the rights of others? Only if violating the rights of others never promotes your rational self-interest.

The author feels that the Objectivist lost the debate.

Chris
Sherry
SherryTX
Plano, TX
Post #: 1,062
There are some interesting things in the comments. I agree with the person that wrote this:

"Assuming both parties have a legitimate interest in discovering and conforming to the objective, rational truth, then there can be no conflict between rational people. (Unless, of course, you consider the discussion itself a "conflict.")

When does it go awry? Often at the definition stasis. Two parties often disagree when they believe they have made the same fundamental conclusions about the matter, but in fact have not. They will probably agree if they can have a conversation about those fundamental things. Of course, this is quite often prohibative."

I don't know who really won the debate, as I haven't watched or read the transcript from the debate, but I think some good points are made in the comments section.