addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Reconsidering group affiliation with "Sense of Life Objectivists"

Reconsidering group affiliation with "Sense of Life Objectivists" (SOLO)

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Post #: 3
As your new Organizer, I have taken the liberty of at least temporarily withdrawing the group from any link to Sense of Life Objectivists, and I suggest we begin an in-depth discussion regarding what, if any, national Objectivist organization we should associate ourselves with.

It appears there was first the Ayn Rand Institute or ARI.
Then, David Kelly split from ARI to form his own group, The Objectivist Center or TOC.
It now appears there is a relatively new third group, the Sense of Life Objectivists or SOLO.

SOLO, however, appears to be antagonistic to both ARI and TOC. For example, in it's CREDO, the SOLO website states, among other things: "SOLO was set up - to invoke George Walsh's famous remark when he helped David Kelley launch the Institute for Objectivist Studies - for those who consider themselves "homeless Objectivists" still. It’s for those who, after 15 years of IOS/TOC, want an alternative to barking-mad dogmatism other than timid, sonnambulist [sic] ecumenism." For SOLO's complete "CREDO," see http://www.solohq.com...­ out/Credo.shtml

I had to look both those last two quoted words up in a dictionary (the first of which was misspelled). According to Merriam-Webster On-Line:

som·nam·bu·lism
Function: noun
1 : an abnormal condition of sleep in which motor acts (as walking) are performed
2 : actions characteristic of somnambulism
- som·nam·bu·list /-list/ noun
- som·nam·bu·lis·tic

ecu·me·nism
Function: noun
: ecumenical principles and practices especially as shown among religious groups (as Christian denominations)

ec·u·men·i·cal
1 : worldwide or general in extent, influence, or application
2 a : of, relating to, or representing the whole of a body of churches b : promoting or tending toward worldwide Christian unity or cooperation

What does this mean?
Are the differences so fundamental between these three national groups that we should choose an affiliation?
How would it be helpful to the values of the current active members to associate with one group over another?
Or would our interests be better served by remaining independent of all of them?
What does this mean, if anything, regarding the ability of Objectivists to organize local clubs?

What do you think?still