addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › Coal Company Announces Layoffs after Election—Others Won’t

Coal Company Announces Layoffs after Election—Others Won’t

Old T.
OldToad
Group Organizer
Dallas, TX
Coal Company Announces Layoffs after Election—Others Won’t

On Friday, November 9, 2012, outspoken businessman Robert E. Murray of privately held Murray Energy Corporation, an American coal producer, announced layoffs in response to the re-election of Obama. In the helpless sentiment of a prayer, Mr. Murray wrote:

Dear Lord:

The American people have made their choice. They have decided that America must change its course, away from the principals of our Founders. And, away from the idea of individual freedom and individual responsibility. Away from capitalism, economic responsibility, and personal acceptance.

We are a Country in favor of redistribution, national weakness and reduced standard of living and lower and lower levels of personal freedom.

My regret, Lord, is that our young people, including those in my own family, never will know what America was like or might have been. They will pay the price in their reduced standard of living and, most especially, reduced freedom. The takers outvoted the producers. In response to this, I have turned to my Bible and in II Peter, Chapter 1, verses 4 - 9 it says, "To faith we are to add goodness; to goodness, knowledge; to knowledge, self control; to self control, perseverance; to perseverance, godliness; to godliness, kindness; to brotherly kindness, love."

Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corporation for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build. We ask for your guidance in this drastic time with the drastic decisions that will be made to have any hope of our survival as an American business enterprise.

Amen.

I, too, offer my "Amen."

Most American businessmen will not make announcements of layoffs with such an explicit and immediate connection to politics. But they will suffer this anguish for the losses of their freedom, their control, their property, their country, their hope. And, as they still attempt to survive, many will be forced to make layoffs.

Now, perhaps more important than trying to build wealth under these political conditions, it is urgent to educate and persuade our fellow Americans to a different course: capitalism—and the philosophical ideas that support it.

What can one do? The first step is to learn more about the philosophical ideas Ayn Rand has to offer. The next step is to integrate them into our personal thinking. Finally, if one personally does not have the knowledge or skills to promote good philosophical ideas, support an organization that does.

One organization that helps promote good ideas is the North Texas Objectivist Society. With your time and support, we could do more at the grass roots.

Respectfully,

Old Toad, Organizer

North Texas Objectivist Society
Brian
user 3776925
Dallas, TX
Post #: 8
It's nice that, when the stock market goes down or layoffs are made these days, people don't tend to jump to the conclusion that the people responsible were acting to sway the public's mind to vote for somebody else. The actions, therefore, speak for themselves. With Murray's letter and more like it, that might start to change. People look for facts supporting their beliefs, and this letter could give them a nice out from reality.