addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS) Message Board › All Writs Act - Please help me understand this

All Writs Act - Please help me understand this

Jennifer M.
user 32879272
Dallas, TX
Post #: 5
The All Writs Act is being cited in the current Apple/government controversy. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and I do not have a legal grasp of the terminology used and can therefore not make heads or tails of the act. Can anyone define (in laymen terms) "writs" and "jurisdiction" as they apply to this Act? I'd love to hear a discussion on whether this Act is in line with the original intent of the Constitution or just another abuse and how it might play out with the Apple controversy.

(a) The Supreme Court and all courts established by Act of Congress may issue all writs necessary or appropriate in aid of their respective jurisdictions and agreeable to the usages and principles of law.
(b) An alternative writ or rule nisi may be issued by a justice or judge of a court which has jurisdiction.

https://en.wikipedia....­
Kathleen L.
user 14663198
Dallas, TX
Post #: 24
From a layman - a writ is an order from a court for something specific to be done such as to proceed with legal action, to direct other courts, sheriffs and attorneys to perform certain certain acts. Habeaus Corpus is known as the 'Great Writ'. Abraham Lincoln suspended Habeaus Corpus during the Civil War as he made prisoners of the citizens that protested the war and his actions. Jurisdiction and venue are about the scope of the location (venue) and permitted authority (jurisdiction). Dan can probably better explain these terms.