addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Rick
OVCCRick
Group Organizer
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 2,811
I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in doing an overnight shoot somewhere and shoot star trails. I've been reading up on it and want to try this as I have never done it. Is anyone interested? Let's talk it over and figure a time and place.

Here's a good starter article if you would like to do some reading on the subject.
Eos M.
0s1s_photography
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 8,476
Eos is interested. When & where? Planning on going to WV week of Labor day weekend.
grace m.
user 7744896
West Chester, OH
Post #: 3,344
grace is interested I hope not to soon. Was at Cincinnati Nature Center on Sunday
took a trail hike slip on some pebble and my knee is not in good condition right now.
Dave L.
LundyD
Dayton, OH
Post #: 1,613
I've shot meteor showers a few times, but haven't tried star trails. Sounds like fun.
Dan P.
paterdr
Hamilton, OH
Post #: 476
Hey, Rick. I'm very interested. I don't know where the best night sky location is around here. I know the Upper Peninsula is great, especially around Paradise, but I'm sure that's way too far for an overnight. Hocking area, perhaps? Time-wise, I'd like to avoid weekends, since that's when most of my work is concentrated, but I'm sure I'm in the minority in this respect. Weekends could be free in 1st and 4th week of July and all of September, thus far. None of this is written in stone, however. Let's see what other ideas come up.
Nancy G.
CreameryPugs
Maineville, OH
Post #: 3,985
I'd like to go if it's just an overnight type thing...but not until August for me...
Nancy G
Eric H.
erichocinc
Loveland, OH
Post #: 1,460
I'd like to go, but can't until August.
Fred H.
Vartok
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 505
Interested also, but wondering the when as to Fall Back to get nigh time to start sooner. It is light now to 9 pm but losing 1.5-2 minutes per day. Would definitely be interested late August to September (cooler). Cool spot might be Red River gorge if we would be allowed to have the natural bridge in the lower portion.

Eric H.
erichocinc
Loveland, OH
Post #: 1,461
We could find a farm in the boonies and use a barn or silo as a foreground subject. Especially since mountains are kind of scarce around here! I kind of like the idea of using all that empty space below (like a harvested field) as a match to the star-filled space above, but with the barn to create a solid reference point.
Rick
OVCCRick
Group Organizer
Cincinnati, OH
Post #: 2,814
Well, Fred is thinking just like me. Fall will be nice and we can do fall color as well during the day. Camping at the gorge is perfect. I know a number of spots to shoot from where we will have rock formations for foreground interest. I would also recommend that we try to avoid a full moon. Just the opposite, in fact.

As for camping, it should be fairly simple. We can bring all pre cooked or packaged food to avoid kitchen details and I know a lot of camping sites very near shooting sites. Depends on the crowd as to where to camp though. I think one overnight should do the job and for the peeps who don't "camp", there are some cabins and a hotel or two in the area.