What we're about
Draft (verb) :
1. To follow another cyclist (or motor vehicle) so closely that the leading vehicle takes the brunt of the wind resistance, and acts as a windbreak for the drafting cyclist.
2. The process of dispensing beer from a bright tank, cask or, keg - by hand pump, pressure from an air pump or injected carbon dioxide inserted into the beer container prior to sealing.
Based in the Triangle Region of North Carolina - we ride for fun, camaraderie, and to raise money to combat Multiple Sclerosis in the weekend-long Bike MS event held in New Bern, NC each September.
We are a very inclusive and diverse group where you don't have to be a "hard core" road biker to join in a ride. We ride in several locations around the Triangle. We host regular 15+ mile training rides on weekday evenings in summer months. We host longer distance pick-up rides on weekends all year and our members participate in several organized charity rides around the Triangle throughout the year.
Anyone interested in road cycling with a group is welcome to join us for a ride. It helps if you like to have adult beverages after the ride, because we do!
Now to get all legal-like... rules to keep in mind when riding with us:
1. Wear a helmet. We cannot allow any riders on our group rides without a helmet.
2. We adhere to a No Drop policy on our weekday evening group rides. A designated ride "Sweep" will stop at turns to make sure slower riders stay on course and be sure that anyone having trouble gets assistance. This does not mean that someone will ride beside you the entire time. Please make sure you can average a pace of 13 MPH or greater when coming out to one of these rides. Please note our routes do include hills.
3. You are responsible for bringing an ID, bike tools, spare tubes that fit your bike, and any food and hydration you require. We try to schedule longer distance rides (25 miles and above) with a rest stop at a convenience store, but this is not always possible. Our weekday training rides do not have a rest stop (until the end when the pints are served!)
4. The following things are prohibited in a group ride: No ear buds or headphones, No riding in a pace line while using aero bars, No using a cell phone while on the bike, No touching another rider without their express permission.
5. By signing up for messages regarding our rides, and coming to a ride with us, you acknowledge that road cycling is inherently dangerous, and that
Team On Draft® is not responsible for your safety on the road. We plan our routes to try to avoid traffic and road hazards, however there are no guarantees when you are riding. Team On Draft® and our Ride Leaders cannot be held liable for your safety on a group ride.
That's it! Come join us and have FUN!