OpenStreetMap is an map of the world made by people like you. It's a map that you build, that's given away for free like wikipedia. Check out osm.org for more. We meet all the time to talk maps, make maps and have fun!
Mapping is an outdoor activity, so let's get out and map. Suggestions from last meetup on where to go were
- South UBC. There has been a lot of construction here, and we could get some UBC students coming out.
- South of Marine Way, on the Vancouver-Burnaby border. This area has been recently developed, and there's lots of detail that's not on the map
- A Vancouver or Burnaby park. We would want a park that's missing stuff from the map
- Burnaby Fraser Foreshore Park, at Big Bend. This would be an ideal location for kite or balloon mapping.
- A park in Surrey. Surrey has a lot of parks, and not all of them are well mapped. Green Timbers Urban Forest is an opion. It's decently mapped in parts, but probably not complete, and near the King George Skytrain station
Do any of these ideas strike your fancy, or do you have others? Leave a comment below, and when I have a good idea what will work I'll set a time and date.