addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

OpenTechSchool Brussels Message Board › Asking money or not?

Asking money or not?

Jef
user 103628252
Brussels, BE
Post #: 2
I was thinking about the discussion we had about asking money. The argument about the "openness" is indeed fundamental. But the community will not be sustainable if we only get free-riders. Then some will have to do a lot and others just reap the benefits. It is no problem now of course, because all are very enthusiastic and want to help grow the idea. But if we want to grow, not everyone want or can make time to help this "free community".

We good initiate a credit system. People who put effort in the community get credits and can use this credits to follow classes. If people only want to learn and don't get credits, they need to give a little amount of money (1-2 €) per lesson. This money can be used by the group to ...

This is of course not necessary right now. We'll need a legal entity as well. Just a thought...
tom b.
user 104035062
Brussels, BE
Post #: 1
Can you elaborate on 'the community will not be sustainable if we only get free-riders'.
What is wrong with a free rider? I find it interesting that you call it a free rider to begin with...
Jef
user 103628252
Brussels, BE
Post #: 4
I think that at this moment everybody is very enthusiastic about the initiative. And you will get a very good group of teachers and learners. But when we want to reach out beyond this group, it will become harder and harder to get people become a teacher or an organiser or engaged in any other way than learning. (But I'm not 100% sure). Free-riders are those that will reap the benefits but don't want to contribute. And contribute can be a lot of things. Like teaching, organizing, finding space, market the idea, finding/giving hardware, develop a platform for the school ... . For now this won't be a problem, but if the amount of learners that won't contribute to the school become to big, we won't be able to teach/coach everybody any more.

Free-riders doesn't have a negative or positive meaning. It is just a term to describe a sort of community member. I'm thinking of another term, but can't find any right now.