Join us on December for the next meeting of the Orange County Advanced Analytics Group! Here’s what’s waiting for you:
• Professor Sameer Singh (UC, Irvine) will peel back the layers behind prediction and machine learning, and its trustworthiness for deployment. He has interned at Microsoft Research, Google Research, Yahoo! Labs on massive-scale machine learning
• ThoughtSpot will be presenting use cases – including YOURS! – for data mining and visualization using search-driven analytics. They are also giving away a MacBook Pro (see instructions below)!
• Last but not least, enjoy festivities, great food and beverage, like-minded friends, and the boat parade in a cozy environment
Here's the agenda for December 14 (Wednesday):
• 6:00pm - 6:45: Registration & networking
• 6:45pm - 7:30pm: Professor Sameer Singh
• 7:30pm - 8:00pm: ThoughtSpot Presentation
• 8:00pm: Boat Parade and networking
(If you are concerned about finding a parking place, please note that the venue has valet parking for $6)
(Also, if you would like to sign-in before arriving at the event - to get to the food faster! - please use this link https://goo.gl/forms/PYjkPxqsMUl3gmmD2)
Professor Sameer Singh is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Irvine. He is working on large-scale and interactive machine learning applied to natural language processing. Till recently, Sameer was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Washington, working with Carlos Guestrin. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst under the supervision of Andrew McCallum in 2014, during which he also interned at Microsoft Research, Google Research, and Yahoo! Labs on massive-scale machine learning. He was selected as a DARPA Riser, won the grand prize in the Yelp dataset challenge, has been awarded the Yahoo! Key Scientific Challenges and the UMass Graduate School fellowships, and was a finalist for the Facebook Ph.D. fellowship. Sameer has published more than 30 peer-reviewed papers in top-tier conferences and workshops.
How to win a MacBook Pro:
ThoughtSpot is giving away a Mac at the Christmas party to the person that brings the best BI use case. This is a small group, you have a great chance of winning
Here are the guidelines for the contest:
1. Submit your use case to [masked] on or before December 13th, 2016. Questions welcome.
2. Include your name and phone number.
3. Please provide the following information.
a. Use case summary
b. Business benefits
c. Technical benefits
4. ThoughtSpot works on relational data not unstructured data.
5. Keep the submission to a page or less.
6. All information provided by ThoughtSpot is offered in good faith. Individual items are subject to change at any time. ThoughtSpot is not responsible or liable for any use of the information, or for any claims asserted there from.
Ideally, we will share the use case with the group at a subsequent meet up. This is not a prerequisite. We will ensure confidentiality is respected. We may follow up with a phone call to ask for clarification about your use case.
Here are some pointers as to where search driven analytics is a great fit.
A. It’s the lowest barrier to entry for the widest group of users. Anyone can search and get instant answer to questions about their enterprise data without training or going to IT to build them a report.
B. Ask any question of your data. No predefined hierarchies or drill paths. ThoughSpot knows everything about your data.
C. Scale. Unlimited users (no end user license) can search billions of rows of data and still get a sub second response.
D. Quick to deploy and easy to maintain. Get into production within a month. Less than 10% of one FTE required for administration.