What we're about
Welcome to OttawaBabel!
OttawaBabel is a group for people in the Ottawa area who have an interest in practicing/learning foreign languages and also willing to help others with their language goals. We aim to provide a fun and relaxed atmosphere in an environment where speakers of many different languages come together to practice speaking a different language in a real-world context and make new friends with people from all over the world!
Our gatherings usually take place in a bar or coffeeshops and we mix and mingle together. Our goal is to have a night-out with an international crowd. This is a group for people who love languages and different cultures.
Guidelines/Code of Conduct/Membership - PLEASE READ!
Your Profile – This is what tells both the organizers and other members who you are:
• When joining the group you must use your first name and post a real picture of yourself. recognizable facial photo required to join. A recognizable photo of yourself is OBLIGATORY. Profiles without a photo or photos that are unclear in any way will be removed from the group. If your name is originally in a non-latin alphabet/characters please write it in an anglicized form to make it easier for other members to read
• You must be resident in the Ottawa area to join the group and your profile location should reflect this. You will not provide any false personal information on Ottawa Babel, or create an account for anyone other than yourself. Membership privileges and or membership can be revoked at any time without notice.
• There is a $20 registration fee to become a member which covers 5 years of membership. Membership is not complete until the fee is paid. Members must attend a meeting within a month of registering to complete their membership
• Membership application implies acceptance of member guidelines and code of conduct.
Ottawa Babel has been the premier multicultural language group in Ottawa since 2011. We have a membership of 900 and host around 100 meetings each year including pub & coffeeshop meetups, summer hikes, picnics, Halloween parties, karaoke nights etc. We are one of the most active meetup groups in the area and have developed a reputation for being the friendliest. If learning/sharing languages is something you love this group offers tremendous value and an opportunity to make friends from all over the world right here in Ottawa. This website has more details about the group including reviews from our hundreds of happy members.
Payment for $20 registration must be made prior to becoming member (e- transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org). For anyone who loves language and wants to be part of an active, fun and friendly social group this is a bargain. This is a one time non-refundable fee so please be sure you want to be part of our great group before payment. Our members love the group and if you love languages we think you probably will too.
• In our experience people who belong to 15 or more other meetup groups usually never participate at any of our meetings and usually will not be accepted as members. Our group is limited to 900 members and preference will given to people belonging to fewer other meetup groups.
HOW IT WORKS
OttawaBabel is an active group where members participate, learn and help others. The idea of the group is that you give help to the group (helping those who are learning your native language) and you get help from the group (you are helped by others who speak the language you want to practice). This way everyone benefits! When you arrive, just introduce yourself to Giorgio or Mike and they will introduce you to others who speak the language you want to practice to get you started.
We get started every Wednesday around 6.30pm and the group is usually there until about 10pm. Please RSVP for each meeting you wish to attend. The full calendar is on the website for members. We also meet at weekends in a coffeeshop.
How to Babel:
1. RSVP for each meeting! If you have a smartphone please look for the app (android/apple) and download. It makes it easy to see what upcoming meetings there are as well as RSVP. We do ask that members RSVP for each meeting they plan on going to as a mark of courtesy to other members and our hosting venues.
2. Be open-minded and respectful
We are a very diverse group. You'll meet people from all over the world and all cultures. Enjoy the chance to have the international experience in Ottawa! When you register please list at least your first name since we all want to be on friendly terms.
3. Purchase a drink or snack. Tip your bartender!
Please purchase a drink or some food since this is how our host locations can allow us to have meetings at no additional cost. Although it's common not to tip in many cultures, it is very much a part of Canadian culture, so remember to leave a tip for your bartender, even if you buy a drink directly from the bar.
4. Ask the organizers!
If you have any questions, concerns, problems or ideas, please talk to Giorgio or Mike about it
Remember, this group is a hobby for us; we run it just for fun, we love it and we hope you will love it too!