addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Patriotic Riders of Tampa Message Board › Year in review and plans for the year ahead!

Year in review and plans for the year ahead!

Star
user 14901251
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 49
Hello All:

2013 has been a great year for the Patriotic Riders RC. We have participated in and supported over 85 Military Support events and 23 other events. Over this past year we have supported organizations such as AMVETS 44, Special Forces MC, Vietnam Veterans MC, Armed Forces MC, US Military Veterans MC, Rolling Thunder MC, American Legion Riders Post 138, 173, 155, VFW Post 10140, 8108, 8083, Military Order of the Purple Heart, Combat Veterans MA, Nam Knights MC, Disabled American Veterans Post 16314, and LAMAs MC.

We also participated in events for Charity Organizations such as Healing for Heroes, Homes for our Troops, Suncoast Brotherhood, Project Corregidor, Heart Strings for Heroes, Saving our Homeless Veterans and Comrades Inc., All Vets Reunion, Run for the Fallen, Armed Forces Military Museum, Vietnam, Devil Dog Military Depot, Gulf side Regional Hospice, Veterans Memorial Park, Bushnell Cemetery, Breast Cancer, Cruising for Critters and Zephyrhills Barracks Museum.

Additionally, we had some “fun runs” to Leesburg Bikefest, SoreAss Run, Tallahassee Automobile Museum, Clearwater Threshers Bike Night, AIMEXPO, HOG (Great Teddy Bear Toy Run), Spooks and Scoots, and the Key West Poker Run. And we had our own Poker Run for K9s for Veterans. What a year!

I am proud to have been a part of all those rides and have made many new friends in the process.
Now we are starting to plan for 2014. I would like to start it out by doing some fun runs by participating in the Sarasota Thunder by the Bay (Jan 9 – 12) and Gibtown Bikefest (16-19) in January. Once that is over, I think it is time to shift focus on our activities. Patriotic does mean “a devotion to one's own country” and in our case 2013 was filled with supporting Veterans through Poker Runs. But it also means a “Feeling, expressing, or inspired by love for one's country and its defense”. So, in 2014 it will be a combination of going back to 2012 and new adventures. In 2014, we will place more rides on the calendar that are “over-nighters.” These rides will be longer (farther away from the Tampa area) and require a higher degree of riding ability. We will go back to attending battle re-enactments, visit military/historical museums all over the state. We will continue to participate in Poker Runs, but just less of them and only the really big ones (like the USO Ride and Wreaths across America) or the ones that our members have a particular passion about. We will include more Law Enforcement fund raising rides as well. And then, there will just plain ole “fun rides”, to places that we have either had a great time going to before or someplace new that looks fun.

Thoughts for 2014 rides are: another run to Key West, just to do it, and tour around Ft. Taylor and all the other sites located on the key(s). North Carolina (Tail of the Dragon), once you have done it, you are hooked forever. While there we would stay at a location in the mountains that has a nice big hotel, with other activities in the area beside 99.99% riding (so we can enjoy Zip lines, whitewater rafting, etc.). A run to Leeds Alabama to see the largest motorcycle museum in the country (5 stories high). An overnight trip to Titusville to see the Astronaut Hall of Fame, Law Enforcement Hall of Fame and Valiant Air Command (all within a mile of each other). Fort Gordon Johnson towards the panhandle (where the US Army trained its Amphibious soldiers for Combat). We also hope to fit in several trips to some of the historic Florida towns where they have preserved some historic treasures such as St. Augustine and Mt. Dora. And, of course, we will also be attending the “fests”, like Leesburg, Biketoberfest, and Sarasota bikefest are all great times.

Just reading through the list of plans, I am excited! I am looking forward to a new year with both familiar and new adventures. I hope you will enjoy them, too!
alan m.
user 11184577
Lutz, FL
Post #: 5
I'm looking forward to increased participation w/the group!
tom m.
user 86192212
Largo, FL
Post #: 2
looks like a lot of fun! I am looking forward to participating in as many rides as I can afford.