Shepherds of Good Hope is the largest not-for-profit organization dedicated to the needs of the homeless and impoverished in the city of Ottawa. It was founded 30 years ago, and today supports over 1600 people on a daily basis.
In this activity we will help prepare and serve food to some of the poor and the homeless in our community.
- Please arrive at 233 Murray Street at 8:30 a.m.; parking is available in the parking lot at 233 Murray Street
- We ask that volunteers stay until 1:00 pm to help with serving during the meal and cleaning up
- Please sign the Group Release and Waiver upon arrival (see below for minors)
- Please bring a ball cap or hair cover of sorts to wear as per our food handlers policies : when preparing or serving food items please wear a head cover (ball cap, hairnet, etc) and apron, tie hair back, wash hands frequently, refrain from eating while preparing or serving food, receive proper first aid for any wounds
- Volunteers are urged to leave valuables at home. We suggest locking purses and other items of value in the trunk of your vehicle where possible.
- There is a closet to lock jackets and other items in; please ensure the door to this closet is closed at all times
- Volunteers are asked to maintain boundaries with those we serve; off site contact is not permitted, please refrain from sharing personal information such as phone numbers, email addresses, etc.
- Volunteers are asked to refrain from intervening in any situation of physical or verbal aggression and that all incidents are reported to staff
- Volunteers are asked to follow universal safety precautions by wearing latex gloves, closed toed shoes, and being cautious when handling bags of donations
- Please dress appropriately – keep shoulders, midriff, and knees covered. Refrain from wearing items that have explicit pictures or language.
THIS EVENT IS A COMMITMENT TO VOLUNTEERING AND CONTRIBUTING.
There are limited spots for participation in this event and your Pay it Forward team is counting on your commitment. Therefore, ATTENDANCE WILL BE MONITORED at this event. If you are a Yes and you cancel the same day as the event or do not show up, your RSVP may be removed from future events where attendance is monitored.