What we're about
This meetup is for any new or experienced person who is interested in playing American style Mah Jongg in the Peabody MA vicinity.
Are you a newbie?
We enjoy having newbies join our group, but learning the basics of play (the tiles, suits and rules of Mah Jongg and how to read the card) should be done before you attend one of our group's meetups.
This can be accomplished in 2 ways:
• You can contact the organizer of our group (http://www.meetup.com/Peabody-Mah-Jongg-Meetup/members/4332810/) to provide you with a 90-minute private lesson. This lesson will cost $20, but it will equip you to start playing and practicing your game.
• You can purchase and read a good book -- like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-American-Mah-Jongg/dp/080483878X) -- to learn the basics.
What do you need to play?
• A rule card for the current year (this shows the permissible hands). Some extras will be made available as loaners, but you can purchase them for $7-$8 online at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=national%20mah%20jongg%20league%20cards&sprefix=national+mah%2Caps%2C189) or the National Mah Jongg League web site (https://www.nationalmahjonggleague.org/PaperForm.aspx).
• A Mah Jongg set (tiles, racks and dice). The group organizer will bring 1-2 sets to each meetup. As our group grows, it would be great if members with their own sets can bring one as well. If you want to buy your own set, they run roughly $100 for the tiles, racks and carrying case. A great source for sets is wherethewindsblow.com (http://wherethewindsblow.com/).
• Enthusiasm and patience. It takes a while to learn how to play Mah Jongg, but it's definitely worthwhile. It never gets boring and will give you years of enjoyment! Some members are new to Mah Jongg, and we'll help them learn the rules and get practice to hone their skills.
Choose Files from the More menu to see a Word or PDF document that explains the basic rules for American Mah Jongg.