What we're about
Welcome to the Peterborough Walking Meetup Group. We are a friendly and amiable group of individuals who enjoy walking in our beautiful countryside. Many people are discovering the benefits of walking, from improving their physical and mental health, building overall fitness and meeting new people. If this is you, why not consider joining our group?
Walks take place throughout the week depending on the availability of our walk organisers, but generally take place most Saturdays where we walk more locally. On other days walks can be further afield and for a longer duration and mileage, and involve more hills. Occasionally we venture further afield to the Peak District, Wales, the Malvern Hills, etc where the walks are more challenging.
We walk at an average pace of some 2.5 mph, which should be manageable by most. Nonetheless, members will need to have a reasonable level of fitness given the distances walked (usually in the region of 8-9 miles), and the type of terrain covered which can be uneven and often slightly hilly. Your walk organiser will advise if there are any special considerations you need to be aware of, such as steep hills. However, if you have any doubt regarding your fitness please speak to your GP.
We normally stop for a short break, so for any walk do bring a packed lunch, drinks, etc. Also, remember that it is important to stay hydrated, so do ensure you bring plenty of water to keep you going, particularly if the weather is warm.
We would like our group to be fun and friendly and welcoming to all. However it is important to set some ground rules to manage expectations and ensure common courtesy among members. At the moment with Covid-19 cases on the rise, we have additional guidelines and it is important our members follow these.
COVID-19 guidelines for the group
1. Before attending a walk, check for symptoms. If you have any COVID-19 symptoms you must not attend the group walk.
2. Please bring your own alcohol based hand sanitiser, face covering and basic first aid kit.
3. Where possible minimise the use of car sharing and public transport.
4. On the walk please follow government guidelines on physical distancing. This applies while waiting for the walk to start, during breaks and when queuing at gates and stiles.
5. Do not share food & drink or equipment such as walking poles.
6. Avoid touching gates and stiles where possible and use hand sanitiser when this cannot be avoided.
7. When other walkers are passing, remember to stand back and give way.
8. After the walk if you have symptoms, apply for a COVID-19 test and support NHS contact tracing if requested.
General rules of membership
Please follow the rules below for your own safety and the benefit of the group:
• Turn up on time so that the group is not kept waiting. We will leave punctually.
• Check the Meetup website before leaving. We seldom cancel but sometimes unforeseen circumstances occur.
• Ensure you have suitable footwear and clothing.
• Take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of the group when walking on roads and crossing railways lines, etc.
• Make sure you are fit enough for any walk you are attending. If in doubt, seek medical advice.
• Sorry, but dogs are not allowed on our walks.
We may modify these rules from time to time to ensure the continued enjoyment and safety of all members.
Upcoming events (4+)
Past events (297)
This content is available only to members