addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Philadelphia Robotics Group Message Board › Craig's Quadcopter project

Craig's Quadcopter project

A former member
Post #: 5
I think my first project will be a quadcopter, since I have a use for one, and there appears to be a fair amount of experience building them in this group. I'm starting with establishing the criteria of the UAV first so I can prioritize aspects of the build and cost of parts etc. This is what I have so far and I would appreciate any feedback:

My quadcopter UAV criteria:
1. push-button auto stop & hover-in-place
2. auto balance/stabilization (no wobbles)
3. push-button auto flip (optional)
4. push-button auto return to controller/coordinate
5. push-button auto-land, low power auto-land
6. Flight path recorder (optional)
7. Automatic obstacle avoidance
8. Controller range = 500 feet+ (not sure what reasonable here)
9. Carry digital camera (weight=?)
10. Remote Photo/video capability
11. 20-minute fly time+
12. speed= fastest possible
13. Collapsible chassis
14. 3D printed chassis
15. quadcopter power indicator on controller

I started looking at chassis designs and was thinking a honeycomb structure would be strong enough considering I would like to print the frame using a high definition 3D printer. I modeled two options and ran a wind analysis to evaluate the aerodynamics of the chassis structure.
here are some images, sorry for the size:

here's a video of the simple frame option:
link: http://www.screencast...­

The main trouble with the simple chassis design, vs. the honeycomb is the strength of it coming out of the printer. The material the printer uses is a hard UV cured resin with a small amount of flexibility. I don't believe it will be strong enough to withstand more than a few hard landings. So an option would be to cover it with fiberglas once it's printed. I'm thinking out loud now.

Anyway, I like the diydrones open source setup. Does anyone have any experience with this vendor?
Thanks for any help!
Craig
Nelson B.
user 9487903
Egg Harbor City, NJ
Post #: 10
Man, everybody is going quad-rotor, what's wrong with fixed wing!?! :) I guess you can't fly it in a room.

Where'd you get the images from? Is this from a particular manufacturer?

Roy had a vendor who made a frame out of composites that he brought in. I don't quite remember who it was.

I bought two sensor packages from DIY Drones, very straight forward and professional.

-Nelson
A former member
Post #: 6
Hi Nelson,
Thanks for the reply. I used Autodesk software to test the aerodynamics of the designs and just did a couple screen captures. Nothing wrong with fixed wing but it's no good for close-quarter architectural photography in urban areas, i.e. taking pictures of gargoyles and building features high up.
It's good to hear that the diydrones sensors were good quality.
Roy B
user 4594812
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 24
Hi Craig,

That Autodesk s/w is pretty cool - how good is its aerodyamic model? I think you'd want to have a skin around your honeycomb frame structure. - too much drag otherwise.

A friend from work has the DIY Drones ArduCopter setup. He's having some trouble. He even had to return a board. Tom from our group was also using a ArduCopter. I also have an AeroQuad board and an OpenPilot board (haven't flown either). Glen has flown his OpenPilot board.

The guys who made my frame were pretty good at getting my customizations, but it wouldn't accommodate Brijesh's board, and I think they should have seen that. Also, they have not been too responsive lately. I don't know if they are still offering the frame. It is a carbon fiber - balsa sandwich.

Sorry for the late reply.

- Roy