addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Philly Book Club - all genres, downtown cafe Message Board › Book Suggestions for September

Book Suggestions for September

A former member
Post #: 24
Hi, Philly Book Group:

Interested in a preview of the suggested books for our September meeting? I find it is easier to vote on a book when I have some previous knowledge of title and/or author and you may think it's helpful, too. Below is a brief description and some online sources, in case you want to investigate further.

At our last meeting, we talked about choosing books by theme or genre. These selections all have a food/culinary theme, but I think they also have an engaging and personal angle (two are full-on memoirs). Even if cuisine is not a hot topic for you, you should find something worthwhile (and very worth discussing) in all four. We all eat, right?

1. "My Life in France" by Julia Child and Alex Prud'homme:

"Exuberant, affectionate, and boundlessly charming ("The New York Times"), this is the delightful and highly acclaimed memoir from the woman who revolutionized American cooking in the 20th century." (­­­­

J's note: Alex Prud'homme is Julia's nephew. His latest book is "The Ripple Effect: the Fate of Fresh Water in the Twenty-first Century." You can see his interview from last week with Jon Stewart here:­

2. "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver (and family):

" Author Barbara Kingsolver and her family abandoned the industrial-food pipeline to live a rural life—vowing that, for one year, they’d only buy food raised in their own neighborhood, grow it themselves, or learn to live without it. Part memoir, part journalistic investigation, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is an enthralling narrative that will open your eyes in a hundred new ways to an old truth: You are what you eat. " (­­­­

3. "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan:

"True or false: One out of every four items for sale in the average American supermarket contains corn? (Think, think, think...) Believe it or not, it's true. If this unsettles you — or just plain doesn't make sense — pick up a copy of Michael Pollan's latest, which will change the way you think about nutrition and health. Pollan starts out by identifying the three principal food chains that sustain contemporary Americans. Two of them, the organic and the hunter-gatherer, have been around for a long, long time. The third, however, the industrial food chain, suddenly accounts for the bulk of our diet. The "omnivore's dilemma," we learn, refers to anxiety that accompanies an excess of options; specifically, when you can eat everything, what should you eat? One thing this book makes clear: if we are what we eat, it's getting so we hardly know ourselves at all. " (from­­­

4. "Toast" by Nigel Slater.

From the author's website: "The story of a boy’s hunger. What people have eaten and cooked is in many ways an autobiography. Toast is the story of my childhood and adolescence told through food, unashamedly intimate and even rather rude in parts, it has sold a quarter of a million copies. Winner of six literary awards, including the National Book Awards British Biography of the Year it is by turns funny and desperately sad. It hurt to write this book, and proved both cathartic and unsettling. Don’t be misled by the picture of me as a schoolboy on the cover. There is nothing cute about this book at all."{9F0952AB-4236-4DD1-8C45-32218208F77C}­­
A former member
Post #: 1
Some interesting suggestions. I also like being able to research a book before I vote on it.