addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Photography Meetup Group Message Board The Photography Meet Up Group Discussion Forum › Considering this lens...

Considering this lens...

Mandy
dancingpanda
Madison, WI
Post #: 9
I'm eyeing up the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens for my Nikon D5000. Currently I have the 18-55mm and 55-200mm that I'm switching constantly in some situations. I like that the Tamron will give me a little more zoom and will cut back on switching lenses so often. Does anyone else have this lens that can provide some feedback on your experience?
Walter A.
user 54812382
Madison, WI
Post #: 1
I have had the lens since I got my camera about 2 years ago so it is the pre Pezzio version but still has VC. I love this lens and it is my primary use lens for everyday shooting. If you like the zoom it performs well with a tripod and still good hand holding. The majority of my Flickr shots are with this lens. I notice the lens weight tends to extend the lens if shooting down and if shooting up like the moon it can be more difficult to extend to full length. I searching online I find this to very typical for this lens and I am used to it so not really bugged about it. I also have a SP 2X teleconvertor that I use with it for 550mm shooting. This distance doesn't give perfect pictures but very good and allows me to see things not possible otherwise. I see no down side to this lens considering the price. If you get it and don't like it you can kick me later. LOL I have 5 Tamron lens so far and love them all and looking at the 500mm range lens for my next purchase. May even go with the Sigma for that.
Adam C.
user 13806225
Lake Mills, WI
Post #: 50
For what you are shooting that would probably be a great hiking lens, and you would probably be quite happy with it. Just for my two cents I use a Tamron 24-135 as my walk around lens, and I am very happy with it. I have found that limiting my self a little in the long range has actually resulted in better pictures. It forces me to try and get closer to what I am trying shoot, which often results in a better image than if I had just zoomed in instead. Again just my two cents.

If you are curious, the Tamron is no longer made, but there is still quite a bit of new old stock on ebay, where I picked one up for $200. Personally I would take the 24-135 and a 35mm or 50mm prime over the 18-270, and that combo will give you more creative options in your photography.
A former member
Post #: 5
I'm not usually a fan of lenses that try to do too much (cover too much range) because it usually seems like the image quality suffers (sharpness, chromatic aberration, barrel/pincushion distortion) and f/6.3 at 200mm or longer is sort of slow - depending on what you are using it for, you might find that even if you can hold the lens steady enough to get sharp pictures (with the help of stabilization if the lens does it - I didn't check)...if the action happening is fast enough, you still might not be able to get a decent picture because of a slower shutter speed.

Still, I understand the frustration with frequent of lens changes.

If you are comfortable sorting through technical specs, you can see graphs of the performance of this lens across a variety of focal lengths and aperture settings, here:

http://www.dpreview.c...­

You can also compare this lens to any other lens that they've tested.
Mandy
dancingpanda
Madison, WI
Post #: 10
Thanks all for your advice. Looks like I'll need to do a little more research to consider my options and what I want to do with a new lens. If I can find a cheap used 'all-in-one' lens, then I can test it out and see for myself if it will serve my purpose.
Marlene J.
marlenejo
Vernon Hills, IL
Post #: 226
I too, appreciate hearing the advice...I've been looking to stretch, and perhaps the comments about not having a lens do too much and limiting the focal range are what I needed - I do think that such things (and my walk-around lens is the Tamron 18-200) are making me lazy......
Adam C.
user 13806225
Lake Mills, WI
Post #: 54
Since you two are both Nikon shooters let me recommend a few primes that I think would really help you take your photography to the next level. Not only is the image quality on these lenses phenomenal, but limiting your self to a single focal length can really boost your creativity.

These are great cheap lenses that have superb optically quality (but not necessarily the best build quality).

Nikon 35mm f1.8g - great normal lens for Nikon DX cameras. Would be a good walk around lens
Nikon 40mm f2.8 Macro - Great lens if you really like getting up close and personal with your subjects
Nikon 50mm f1.8d - Excellent short telephoto lens great all around lens that is a little longer than the 35mm

Twice the price of these other, but worth every penny is the 85mm f1.8g. Personally my favorite focal length, great for isolating details as well as portrait work.

I would recommend taking a look at lightroom or whatever software you use, and sort by focal length. Look at what range you shoot at the most, and get whatever prime most closely matches that.

Here is a good article that espouses the benefits of shooting with prime lenses.
http://www.kenrockwel...­
Mandy
dancingpanda
Madison, WI
Post #: 11
Thanks for the additional info, Adam. I'll definitely have to look into the prime lenses as I don't have one yet. One of the bigger reasons I'm looking at a new lens is to get the extra zoom - I like to take a lot of wildlife pictures, and getting closer usually isn't possible. I'll need something fast to capture movement. What would your recommendations be for an affordable zoom lens for Nikon?
Adam C.
user 13806225
Lake Mills, WI
Post #: 58
Here is my general lens theory. I have developed this over time, but take it with a grain of salt because it is just my opinion. I also added prices I paid for all of my lenses, so you can see that you can get great glass without breaking the bank.

If I am shooting an event like a wedding I take two bodies and a tamron 17-50 f2.8 ($400 new) and minolta 70-200 f4 ($75 craigslist), knowing I can get just about anything without having to switch any thing out.

If I walking about on vacation, and want to make sure I can get most any shot I take my tamron 24-135 ($200 ebay, new old stock). Its wide enough at 35mm equivalent and long enough at 200mm equivalent for my style of shooting. It is also light and compact enough that I don't mind carrying it on a several mile hike.

If I am doing something like a photo walk, or any time I want to push my self creatively, I grab one more of my primes. I have a sony 35mm f1.8 ($200, new), minolta 50mm f1.4 ($200, ebay), minolta 50mm f2.8 macro ($200, ebay), and rokinon 85mm f1.4 (me new favorite lens, and although it is manual operation, a steal at around $250). These give me the ultimate level of image quality and creativity.

If I know I am going to be shooting something extra long I have a tamron 200-400 f5.6 that I picked up on ebay for $200 (careful ebaying should get you something in the same price range for nikon). It is decently sharp at f5.6 and fanstically sharp at f8, a great lens with lots of reach (although it is quite heavy).

Using this guideline I can carry the minimal amount of gear and still get the images and quality that I want. Luckily for you, Nikon has never changed their mount. That means you can get old manual focus Nikon lenses very cheapily. While manual focusing isn't the easiest, the image quality of any good prime blows away anything but the most expensive zooms (ie 70-200 f2.8).

Take a look around ebay with this search and see what you find: "nikon lens -zoom"
A former member
Post #: 49
I'm currently shooting with a Nikon D7000.
I've got a Nikon 17-55 f2.8 and a Nikon 70-200 f2.8. Both are not cheap. I haven't priced them lately. I bought both from B&H a few years back when I had a better paying job. I also have a prime Nikon 35 at f1.8 that I bought new from B&H for just under $200. I also have a Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 that I purchased back when I had a film camera. I think I paid around $700 for that. I can get great closeups with that lens.

I'm currently looking at this lens from Nikon:
http://www.bhphotovid...­

I'll have to wait until I get my tax returns before I can consider that one though... Eventually I'd like to move up to an FX format camera and that will render my 35mm and my 17-55 somewhat useless, but not entirely so; they will crop the FX format to a DX format.

I prefer the fast lenses with either f2.8 or even the f1.4 as in the link above. They do make a 50mm lens with an f1.2, but I can't justify the $700+ price tag. The faster lenses give you a little more creativity with depth of field and bokeh.