What we're about
Upcoming events (2)
Looks like it will still be sunny for another board game afternoon in the park with four games to choose from: a drawing game, Pictionary (unlimited players); a word game, Balderdash (unlimited players); a tile placement game, Kingdomino (4 players); another tile placement game, Ankh'or (4 players)
We'll be playing in Grand Rond, near the entrance leading to the museums, just north of the gazebo, facing a red sculpture of a boy, under a big evergreen, and on a grey picnic blanket :)
Game cards and gameplay will be in English.
We'll play a game of Rising Sun (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205896/rising-sun), with all the expansions.
Quitting mid-game ruins the game for all the other players and will be counted as being a no-show. Out of respect for everybody else, please have a look at what the game is about (no need to learn the rules, just watch or read a few reviews) and be aware of the length of the session.
Game complexity: Advanced. Has fairly high amount of rules, the understanding of which is important as it requires strategic planning, and you have to be wary of what your opponents are doing, as they may otherwise become difficult to stop. All players follow roughly the same rules, which does help understanding (the only exception being their unique clan's ability). This is the second most complex game we play. It's also one of the best, in my opinion.
As usual, all the rules will be explained at the start of the session. We welcome new players. Any actions performed by mistake can simply be reverted, unless it led to something being revealed by another player.
Quick summary of our Meetup group's description, just in case:
* This meetup is for people who want to play board games in English.
* While the primary intent is to provide an occasion to practice English while having fun, native speakers are also welcome.
* Players are not expected to be familiar with the game being played.
* English level B2 or above required.
* Sessions are in English only.
* Optional 2 Euros participation fee (i.e. Blastodice fee to access the games), I'll pay it if you don't.
If you previously thought you would attend a session but changed your mind, it's okay, but please change your status on the session's invitation list accordingly as soon as possible: spots are limited and you might be needlessly preventing others from attending.
The game requires 3 people to be played (and it does work well even with that few).
Photo album from previous plays: https://www.meetup.com/Play-English-Board-Games-in-Toulouse/photos/30569378/487077277/
House-rules for Rising Sun:
- Less experienced players choose their clan first.
- The Fox Clan is replaced by a fan-made clan (pay coins to get ally advantage on mandates).
- Ryujin ("Buy a Seasonal Card") is removed from the pool of possible Kamis.
Weekend session warnings:
- The bar opens at 3PM.
- The bar does not serve food before 6:30PM.