addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Polyglots in Bangkok Message Board › How do you learn?

How do you learn?

A former member
Post #: 45
Hi everyone, I've been trying to get back into language mode and was very inspired at the last meeting so I am reaching out to the group for advice, tips, thoughts, etc...

If you are working on more than one language, how do you split your time? Any top tips for acquiring vocab? Do you recommend/ or not working on more than one if you aren't close to fluency? What other things have worked for you?

My two areas of focus are Thai and Spanish. One challenge I am facing is that I could practice my Thai at home with my Burmese helper BUT almost everything I need to communicate to her at the moment, I don't have the vocabulary for... Do I just keep plugging in the words I know and work towards it? It isn't very realistic for me to look everything up in a dictionary. Also she speaks wickedly fast and has a very difficult pronunciation to understand.

Please feel free to post links to articles, videos, anything anything you think could help. OR tell me about things that didn't work for you. You can also email me directly at Cordelia DOT Rojas AT gmail DOT com.
Thanks!
Charles C.
user 87000062
Chiang Mai, TH
Post #: 1
Hi Cordeila. I'm learning Russian at the moment. For vocab I'm using memrise, which is a flashcard style app that uses spaced repetition. I've been able to massively expand my high frequency vocab by using it. I find that I now have enough vocabulary to speak (badly) and write basic things and I am now trying to read and listen to Russian more. Because I am familiar with the first 1000 HF words in Russian, I can spend my time working on the 30% to 40% of words in a text that I don't understand yet, and pick up more vocab that way.

I'm avoiding Thai at the moment, not because I'll confuse the two languages, but because I feel I need to focus on getting one right before I tackle another.