1. Check weather conditions. If the air temperature is below 65° at noon, cancel the trip.
2. Check water temperature using the Potomac Little Falls Gage (http://tinyurl.com/li.... If the water temperature is below 60°, cancel the trip. If the temperature is between 60 and 70°, notify trip members that the water is cold and to dress appropriately.
3. Check the flow for the specific river and float on http://www.americanwh....
a. If the river in the section to be run on the trip is rated as “Above Recommended,” cancel the trip.
b. If the rating is “High Runnable,” notify trip members that the flow is high.
c. If the rating is “Below Recommended,” notify trip members that the river is low and they might have to drag their boat.
4. Confirm the number of boats participating. If less than 3 boats, cancel the trip.
5. Download a map of the float and familiarize yourself with the boat launches and access points along the trip.
6. Provide trip members the GPS coordinates for the take out point.
7. Send an e-mail to the individuals to confirm their participation.
8. Check participants for the required safety equipment per the regulations covering that particular river. All participants must wear a personal floatation device regardless of the regulation in effect.
9. Designate a lead boat and a trail boat.
10. Coordinate with participants to determine who will have a two-way radio and what frequency will be used. As a minimum, give one radio to the lead boat and the other to the trail.
11. Have at least one cell phone in a waterproof container.
12. Have at least one basic first aid kit and designate a boat to carry it.
13. Establish a "no later" time for all participants to be at the take-out point.
14. At the end of the trip, account for all participants.
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|Big Fish Page||February 7, 2013 1:56 PM||former member|
|Float Maps||January 26, 2013 11:37 AM||former member|
|River Conditions||April 13, 2012 2:41 PM||former member|
|Recommended Trip Participant Checklist||April 13, 2012 2:36 PM||former member|
|Recommended Trip Leader Checklist||April 13, 2012 2:33 PM||former member|
|Waiver of Liability||June 2, 2012 8:26 AM||former member|
|About Potomac River Smallmouth Club||January 16, 2013 7:37 PM||former member|