8955 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR
It's my birthday month, is it yours? Come! It's not? Oh, it really doesn't matter, please come ride with me on this if you're up to a couple of challenging climbs with lots of flats in between, come along. This is one of my new favorite routes here in town. We could go out for a snack or coffee afterwards too!
WHO THIS RIDE IS FOR: Experienced riders who are comfortable with urban biking and want to stay in shape despite the changing seasons.
DESCRIPTION: Starts at the Johnson Creek Fred Meyers on 82nd Ave., short climb on Bell road then through city streets at 10 mile point we climb Mt Tabor (photo below isn't that good, but gives an idea of the view). Then about 15 miles we arrive at Rocky Butte for another climb. Check out the map for more details. After Rocky Butte, we'll get on 205 path for the last 8 miles.
Rating Scale (refer to table below)
• Roadway: Urban
• Pace: Moderate, faster on the flats, climb at own pace, we'll regroup at top
• Terrain: C
Leader: Suzie H
Sweeper vs Regroup:
__ Sweeper, no one left behind
__ Regroup at turns WITH sweeper. No one left behind (provided you can maintain the posted pace).
X__ Regroup at turns, NO sweeper. Use cue sheet if you cannot keep pace.
__ Non-Group ride: Group starts together but everyone rides at own pace
X__ At start
X__ Along the route
__ None or unknown
• Helmet is required for all RLAG bike rides.
• All riders need to sign in on the waiver/sign in sheet at the beginning of the ride.
• Arrive early. Rides leave at the time posted above.
• Bring supplies for fixing a flat tire (inner tube, tire levers, pump).
• Cell phone - never go on a ride without one!
• No ear buds, please
• Your bike should be in good working order to minimize the risk of mechanical issues on the ride. If you're not sure, stop by a local bike shop and ask a mechanic to look it over.
• Eat something before the ride. Do not risk "bonking" (term for hitting the wall due to lack of stored energy) by skipping the pre-ride meal.
• Bring along water and snacks to stay hydrated and fueled.
• Carry identification or create something with your name, address, an emergency contact, and medical problems or medications.
Weather Policy: This ride will only cancel for heavy rain, snow, strong winds, ice and other conditions we do not like. Showers and rain is part of the training, so be sure you have the appropriate gear. If in doubt, check the Comments section below. Cancellations will be posted no later than 8:00 AM on the day of the ride.