Reddit.com/r/Austin can utilize this site to organize and update meetups in the Austin area. We always welcome visiting Redditors from other cities at our events!
So what do we do at meetups?
the r/Austin subreddit is a place of diverse characters. Here is where we can build and strengthen our community, by putting faces to the stories and opinions online. We discuss events current and relevant to our fair city, create contacts that may benefit you in life and work, and find out what matters to us as Austinites and how we can work to create a better city. I believe that even the smallest efforts, when coming from positivity, can create huge changes.
We only have three rules.
1. Don't be a Dick!
This is simple and most of you know what this means. If you say or do anything that would make anyone feel uncomfortable you will be warned once. After that if we are approached again you will be asked to leave and are no longer welcomed in the group. Sexual harassment will not be tolerated on any level and you will be banned.
2. Do not post photos or personal information to reddit without permission.
3. No sales pitches or gratuitous self-promotion without permission from a host.
How You Can Help
1. Be welcoming and compassionate. Meeting people who are of a different mindset can be tremendously valuable when your ears, heart, and mind are open. Making friends takes effort and consistency. Just showing up regularly is half the battle.
2. Suggest ideas for how to make the group and events better, and volunteer to be a greeter, a co-host, or organizer. All members are welcome to take advantage of the group and its thousands of members to create their own events. Simply message Lauren, the page organizer with your idea and she will help you set up your event for free!
3. Donate! The operating costs of the meetup.com website alone are $200/yr, and this doesn't include supplies and operating fees. Your donations are highly appreciated and go toward keeping the group alive. 100% of donations go straight into the group, and any overages will mean better, more fun events! Cash donations are accepted at meetups and you can Venmo @bulletm