2936 West 8th St., Los Angeles, CA, 90005, CA
Calling all activists and concerned citizens! Learn how to protect your privacy at our first CryptoParty: Surveillance Self-Defense workshop!
There's a power imbalance between the watchers and the watched- an imbalance that is dangerous and prone to abuse. We want to close that gap by helping you protect yourself from prying eyes.
When Trump takes office in January 2017, he will control the most powerful surveillance apparatus in history. In preparation for the incoming administration, we are offering a free workshop to help activists and concerned citizens protect private communications, web browsing, and personal data.
Expect down-to-earth advice and hands-on guidance geared to a non-technical audience.
We want to help everyone concerned about security and privacy, but we especially want to help high-risk communities, including:
• Political activists
• Immigrant communities, undocumented or otherwise
• Muslim religious groups
• Indigenous and communities of color
• Educators working with undocumented students
• Lawyers representing undocumented clients
• LGBTQ people
• Victims of harassment and stalking
We will be working partly from the EFF's Surveillance Self-Defense Guide.
Make sure to bring your laptop and your phone!
Come by to learn how to:
• Install Signal and learn how to use it for messaging and calling, and how to verify safety numbers
• Install Tor Browser and understand the basics of how Tor works, and what Tor does and doesn’t do
• Enable full-disk encryption of phones and laptops
• Enable two-factor authentication on your online accounts
• Set strong device passwords and learn about password managers
• Sign up for EFF alerts
• Get answers to questions you have about all of the above and more
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -V
None of us are free until all of us are free.
Hi I'm Ari.
Workers of the World, Unite. You have nothing to lose but your chains.
My name is Daniel McCollister (now let's do our cool high five!)