Richard Rohr for Men, Ohio is sponsored by Ohio Illuman.
Ohio Illuman is a global not for profit organization committed to supporting men who are seeking to deepen their spiritual lives. We are an organization that is open to all men based on the simple belief that we are all brothers. While Illuman was founded in 2012, it emerged from the remarkable work of Men as Learners and Elders (M.A.L.Es) founded by Fr. Richard Rohr. In December 2012, Fr. Richard blessed Illuman as the organization approved to continue the work begun by M.A.L.Es, and the Men’s Rites of Passage.
“None of our current social or church issues is going to change until the ordinary male matures spiritually.”
— FR. RICHARD ROHR, OFM
Our programs and offerings focus on providing men with an opportunity to do their "inner work" in the company of other men. We use ritual, teaching and ways of communicating that allow men to create an environment where men can explore what matters to them most. We foster an environment where:
• Men can speak without being judged or shamed
• Men can both speak about their emotions and be emotional
• Men can forge real and authentic relationships with other men
• Men can discuss real life challenges of the different roles we play – husband/partner, father, grandfather, provider, businessman, worker etc.
• Men who participate in our work receive support as they journey through life and face some of life’s toughest challenges and transitions. Our programs are centered in ritual experiences rather than in conceptual teachings. Illuman creates opportunities for men that we know they can’t find on their own or anywhere else.
We seek to form future generations of men who will restore these practices while serving to build a world that celebrates the beauty of all beings.
We gather online and in-person for monthly Way of Council circles and events in the Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, and Cincinnati areas.